• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frustrating overspray Help!!!!

Jonesin61

I have a JV3 that has been just great until last Friday. I thought I needed to do a simple head alignment to get rid of cyan halos. Now I've installed a new pump, two new heads (one was bad) , new dampers, and new head data cables. I do a test draw and everything fires clean but the mechanical slant adjust, and y base show the cyan as a total mess. I set up a small block to test print the crispness of magenta, cyan and yellow. Magenta and yellow look great, cyan looks like one fast pass with an air brush. I am using Lyson inks. It looks like I've wasted 1800.00 in part not to mention another grand in paying someone else to do my printing. I'm open for suggestions, I am going in tomorrow to see what I can come up with? Dryer sheets? Firmware update? Switch back to OEM ink? PLEASE HELP!!!

artbot

overspray has a few very cheap ways to isolate.

1. do a test print set to variable dot, then same test at non-variable. if the non-variable dot print is clean vs variable being oversprayed, your head isn't printing the the tiny dots. i once had a brand new head that could not print the variable dot. thankfully i got a replacement at no charge.

2. do the same test at the lowest setting vs highest. high settings can cause a lot of overspray in certain environments.

3. do a damper swap (put the magenta damper/line on the cyan manifold and vice versa cyan damper/line on the magenta manifold). a bad batch of ink can cause oversrpay.

4. for static testing, to a test of cyan (4 x 20). burnish one side (4x10) with a t-shirt leaving the other side untouched. print across this burnished/unburnished area. if the burnished side print w/out overspray, you are having a static issue.

Jonesin61

Thanks for the tips - hoping for the best!

I am headed in to try your suggestions now. I saw how knowledgeable you were and posted here hoping that you would reply. I know that the printer is set to low so I don't think that that is the issue but I will try the others right away. Thanks so much. Hopefully one of these will pinpoint the trouble otherwise I will be back hoping for more ideas.:smile:

Jonesin61

Firmware update?

I have also noticed posts about the pros and cons of doing a firmware update? I am honestly not at all familiar with how to even check what version I am on much less how to update it if I needed to but if you know what version I should have I will certainly update if you think that it might help.

Sign Works

My Roland had recently started printing cyan halos, cleaned the encoder strip for the first time which resolved the issue completely.

Jonesin61

I've tried everything!

I replaced my replacement head today and it didn't help. It still appears that the problem is in the head. It prints crisp at 720 but sprays cyan all over on every other profile that I have available. I have literally spoken to 8 techs in 6 states and I still can't print! No one can tell me what is going on.

artbot

do you know how to to data swap at the slider board? if the new head is doing the same thing, you'll need to look further up the data line to the cyan port on that board.