• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fudge, Google just said FU to me!

J

john1

So i have been doing SEO on my website pretty hard the last few months and finally got it indexed and was ranked number 1 or if not on the first page in my area for services and now it's not even ranked at all! I am using all in one SEO plug in for wordpress, Not paying a dime.

I found out my website was indexed last a few days ago so it's indexed but my main homepage will not come up. When you typed in signs in (insert city here) i was number 1, Now i am not even there.

Heck when you type in my business name on google it doesn't even rank the homepage, It ranks other pages on my site that may have my business name in the description but that is it.

Tried it on a number of devices with different internet providers and same thing.

What gives you guys think?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I might sound ignorant here, but I think SEO is way over rated.

For the time and effort involved, I truly believe that personal attention and excellent customer service lasts a whole lot longer...and travels much further.

JB

ProWraps

For the time and effort involved, I truly believe that personal attention and excellent customer service lasts a whole lot longer...and travels much further.

JB

dude with all due respect you are crazy.... SEO is everything to a b2b business. how do you think you get all those customers to pay attention and give excellent service to?

J

john1

I really beg to differ James, I have received multiple calls a week for the past few months off just using SEO and targeting the surrounding towns and cities.

Out of the dozen or so jobs this week, 4 jobs which together were about $875 were just off people finding my services online through google searching. I'll take that every week no problem. Those customers are likely to be repeat orders down the road from talking with them about their needs and the other next week is getting business cards designed and printed by me cause we just did his new logo. Another few hundred right there. Well worth it.

Didn't cost me a dime, Just time to learn the ropes then apply them. I usually learn about SEO late at night when i am relaxing on the iPad.

HulkSmash

JB

lol, what? SEO gets me those customers so i can give them the excellent service.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Pardon my ignorance on the subject. I guess I still have a burr under my saddle from a guy who said he could all but "sell me the moon" with SEO. Carry on, my friends...sorry to ruffle any feathers....

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
SEO.... I have a different take on them. While we use them, they have to be maintained and updated constantly, if you don't naturally come across near the top with your regular information. Google and all the others will do what they can to put you back in the correct order you and/or your company have been accustomed to. When you go in there and reset all the valuable information they already have in place.... you are really upsetting the natural flow of things. Therefore, Google will do what they can to remove the unreliable information some of you set in place to get near the top. So, enjoy your short-lived fame on top and be ready to constantly be updating your information.

This is why I get a kick out of people who will pay out some bucks to have some outfit tell you they'll get you to the top. It is short-lived and they just take your money and run.

Border

I suspect you must have applied some tactic that the Google did not like and saw as "sneaky". Maybe not but I know there are certain things such as hidden text, etc that will trigger them to blacklist your site. Not saying you did that or anything else shady 'cuz I don't know, just take a good careful look at all of the seo tactics you may have tried or played around with.

Once you make the Google angry, it can be a long road back!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
SEO is always fickle ... for my fine art, I've been trying to push a realtor out of the #1 spot for my actual name, been slipping a little lately since I don't dominate the top 12 of 15 spots on the top of google for it. (only the top 6 of 10 now.) BUT, I've been experiencing a renewed interest in web development for myself .. so you never know ... maybe I will punk him.

Wish you luck, and glad you're back on google.

Hicalibersigns

Pardon my ignorance on the subject. I guess I still have a burr under my saddle from a guy who said he could all but "sell me the moon" with SEO. Carry on, my friends...sorry to ruffle any feathers....

Search Engine Optimization is a fine art, but it can bring in lots of business. Don't confuse SEO with all of the shady companies that sell you SEO service. There are a few that are honest and real, but not many.

We started our sign business about a year and a half ago and have done no advertising other than Pay per click and my SEO efforts. We are beginning to rank organically, so I am able to ratchet down my pay per click spending.

All I can say is that it is working very well for us.

signswi

You can't accurately judge your SERP position by simply googling. That only proves if you're indexed or not. The SERPs are changed depending on a million variables and are unique to each person. Use a SERP tracking service to judge your position. If you PM me your URL I can run it through a couple of things and let you know how you're ranking for your best keywords.