• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

fuzzy edges on cmyk blacks...

insigniagraphics

I'm noticing a strange thing with my SC545EX printer...

Recently, when I print (from flexi)on "normal mode" (720), anything with fine lines or crisp edges, particularly with black and darker colors, the edge seems to have a slight "fuzziness".
Seems particularly noticeable when printing non-spot blacks, and dark browns. Blues, reds, etc. are not affected. Strange that, the higher quality the setting, the more fuzzy the edges appear. changing temp or head height didn't change anything either.
Ran through the calibration test prints again last night, and nothing really needed adjusted. I must say, however, there was a significant change after the first time I re-calibrated everything.
Horizontal lines stay crisp, while the vertical lines seem to bleed out just enough to make them seem a bit blurry. Through a magnifying glass, you can see tiny dots, or what looks like overspray.
This happens with any media, from oracal3651, 3551, to banner material.

The weird thing is, when I print the same file on high-speed four-pass, everything is great; all lines and edges are crisp and clean.
Spot-colors are perfect on any setting.

I have performed a complete head calibration in service mode, incl. bias, vertical, horizontal, and bi-directional adjustments. The test prints were viewed with a magnifying glass for accuracy, and results seemed to be perfect. Am I missing a step?

Anyone out there have an idea as to what could be causing this?

The nozzle check shows all nozzles firing, but the micro test-print for the black shows a little bit of banding. Does this sound like an adjustment issue, or a head about to faiL?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds more like static. See what your head height is and possibly adjust, but get the static out of the room.

the graphics co

Static, effects the Roland terribly, but doesn't bother the HP. I have the same problem with the fuzziness on small black details with the Roland.