• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FX Printing Question with Omega 4.0

MCV

I am printing a graphic that has an arc to it and it is printing very choppy even at the high rez setting (1200dpi). If there any settings I can tweak in omega or something I should look into on the design side. The graphic was produced in Illustrator and is completely vectors printed with spot colors. Imported into omega as an .ai file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have printed similar images with no issues.

Please see the attached sample of the print.

Attachments

• 6836006363_96b4e97551.jpg
    6836006363_96b4e97551.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I'd say something is importing wrong, possibly there are spot colors (and transparency/gradients) in the illustrator file? That has caused choppy imported artwork in Omega for me a couple times.

idsignsil

I import my AI files into Omega as an eps file and have never had a problem. I would try the eps and see if it still does it. If you are using spot colors and not the cmyk setting you should get perfect lines every time from vector images.

jfiscus

Rap Master
How do the vectors look in Omega? I've never had anything come out that choppy, it must be something in the file somehow.

MCV

Thanks for the input. I did find a workaround but I would be happy to email the file to you Tony and see what you can come up with.

Workaround:
I actually flipped the file so instead of it printing horizontal I printed it vertical. It came out pretty much perfect. Does that make sense? what is the logic behind that? I assume its because of the 1200x600 DPI at the hi-rez setting.

Tony Teveris

The 1200x300 (not 1200x600) is nothing but smoke and mirrors. Just like 600x300

On the xaxis we we go half speed (600) or quarter speed (1200) and the actual image we rip in the axis has 2X or 4X the data - the end effect is you do get better prints if you look real close, small text looks better, but a normal sign at 1200 is a waste of time.

These are my options, I'm sure Dana or others my disagree.

Send me the files.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I only print the high-res setting on very small text (just did a batch of 2cm x 3cm decals), otherwise it makes the print look worse in most jobs I've ran. (like over-saturated/too much foil?)

Tony Teveris

I looked at and printed the questioned file and I think it's just the nature of the artwork and the Edge itself. The area in question is a very "low" sloping horizontal line with the ugly stair stepping edge. Unlike inkjets there is no "dot gain" which performs somewhat of an anti-alias effect. So, I think it's the best the "beast" can do.