• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gaming Trailer Graphics

ADuke

I have a customer that is looking to wrap a Gaming Trailer. They have playstation, xbox, Nintendo switch and virtual reality gaming in the trailer and travel to events and birthday parties for people to play games in the trailer. They want a wrap with video game characters on the outside and I am having a hard time finding artwork for this. I have seen companies that do this type of work all the time and I am wondering where they get their graphics from? Is this something I have to call the gaming companies and request artwork for? I am sure everything is copy-written and must be purchased from somewhere but I am just not sure where to start. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Istock. Search for gaming characters. a lot came up. even this guy

super-mario-picture-id531753481

Forty One

We have a rule here that the client must provide any outside artwork for use.
This goes for any copywrite material.
If they choose to get it from google (and it is print quality), that's on them. They sign an artproof stating that they are the owners of any associated artwork.
If they want us to purchase it from sites similar to Getty etc, then that's all good. But we put a mark up on it.
Most of the time, clients like yours are small and wanting it for nothing. Suggest that they either source all images, or you can give them links to purchase what they are after.

marymjohnson55

I have a customer that is looking to wrap a Gaming Trailer. They have playstation, xbox, Nintendo switch and virtual reality gaming in the trailer and travel to events and birthday parties for people to play games in the trailer. They want a wrap with video game characters on the outside and I am having a hard time finding artwork for this. I have seen companies that do this type of work all the time and I am wondering where they get their graphics from? Is this something I have to call the gaming companies and request artwork for? I am sure everything is copy-written and must be purchased from somewhere but I am just not sure where to start. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
Shutterstock.com or Brands of the World has lots of company logos

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The only way for the use stated is to get permission and artwork from each copyright holder. You cannot use, for the Mario example above, on a trailer. It even says right on the image, for editorial use only. While it is not your job to police Nintendo's IP, using and profiting on their IP without their permission will land squarely on you. In a sue happy world, much better safe than sorry.

That being said if you are a flea market vendor or running out of your garage and already illegally reselling copyrighted works then go for it. A lot of the companies can and do actively pursue infringement. We do some work on convenience stores for a Coca Cola distributor. As such we have been given access to KO Adland, Multiad Kwikee, DMEX, Monsterenergymedia, etc. I remember one time I downloaded something on Coca Cola that was not intended for this market. Literally less than a day later, KO Legal was in touch just to be sure we were not going to be using that.

Last edited:

rjssigns

I no longer deal with work involving copyrighted anything. did some of that years ago and the paperwork was mind numbing and took the profit out of the job.
Also not worth the migraine trying to explain the legalese to clients that think it's okay to use 'cuz they found it on the interwebs.:banghead:

Forty One

Is there any way to check its authenticity?
You could always do a reverse google image search, but as commented on here, it's going to take you ages and you can never ensure the validity of the source of the image.
Just make sure you have a terms sheet when you send out a quote (not with the invoice) that clearly state all your terms and conditions when they accept your quote and proceed with the work.
This also should have a section in there about claiming unpaid debts should they do the runner.
I just got burnt because I had my terms on my invoice, and not with the quote.

Aardvark Printing

Thank you!

ikarasu

I sell online, and one day I got an order for some stickers for an anime char. I'm not a very big anime fan... So I thought it was a hand drawn one, and the person who wanted the stickers was the one who drew it - I was wrong... I printed them 50 stickers, all of the same image - Not 2 months later I get a letter from a lawyer saying I'm part of a lawsuit for infringing on their property theft. The letter came from a lawyer in Colorado...and I'm in Canada, so I figured screw it, I'd ignore it and I didnt care... I used to torrent a lot as a kid and I got those letters everyday. This time I knew I didnt torrent, or do anything illegal so I ignored it. Then a month later I got a reminder saying I was going to get a default judgement against me if I did not settle before hand. I did some googling... turns out they represented a company that makes Hatsune miku - Some digital singer people go crazy over... I google her, and sure enough it was those stickers.

Being Canadian I didn't care too much... but I figured I'd e-mail them to straighten it out, just incase I got into trouble at the border. They sent me a photo of the invoice from the person who bought the stickers and said I had no right to reproduce it... Fair enough, innocent mistake - I showed them my listings and all the stuff I usually print.. told them I wasnt aware it was their IP, and thought it was hand drawn. Heres a word for word reply... Minus removing any info people can google and find the lawsuit with.

"Thank you for reaching out to us in this matter and for providing additional details about yourself and your store. As you know, our client, found that you were infringing its xx trademarks by offering for sale the product in the attached evidence. You may find the court pleadings and other relevant documents here:

Considering that you are a small seller and not the type of mass infringer that this lawsuit intended to target, our client would agree to a settlement of $2,000 to resolve the matter, which would include the reactivation of your store and a dismissal from the lawsuit.

Please respond at your earliest convenience."

I got mass sued along with 340 other people. I replied to them, saying $2000 for printing something someone asked me to, that I thought they owned is a bit steep - That I see I infinged on their property, not knowingly - all I made was $50 on the sale, provided them with the invoice... And said will I admit fault, I would gladly make restitutions that made sense - They told me to counter... then rejected my counter and said $1000 was the lowest they would go. I did some googling... and this company constantly mass sues people, and constantly gets default judgements in the tune of hundreds of thousands awarded to them - so I said screw it, paid the 1K... And now if I'm printing something that looks professional... I reverse image search to make sure its not someone elses IP.

I probably could have fought it and won - but a lawyer would cost me more than 1K. And thats what they count on....

I wouldn't ever touch anything copyrighted. If coke cola came to me and asked for a coke sign? Sure... If a store came to me and said they were running a coke promotion and wanted me to print them a coke banner? Nope... not worth it. Sure coke probably wouldn't care... But the companies authorized to print coke might... And all it takes is 1 case to lose your business. A lot of people dont care, and I;'m sure 99% of people wont get caught - but why risk losing your business to make $100?

[Edit] I edited out some documents as well as names, I just remembered I signed an NDA with my settlement, so I'd rather not link to the court documents...even if there is 350 other people in it.. :rolleyes:

Boudica

There are a "couple" of threads here regarding copy right issues. Huge franchises such as Disney employ people full time to look for people infringing their copyright. With a team of lawyers to persue it. It seems to be a constant debatable issue here.
Once did a personal project for a customer we do their fleet graphics for. It was a Harley Davidson sticker for his bike. He had purchased a sticker, but it didn't fit the space it was designed for on the bike. It was a number. It was All over my head, but I got creative and helped him out. He got excited and said he knows others who would like one.... I said this was for him, and don't go putting this online for sale. If you do, I had nothing to do with it. I'm not even the owner... But I of course let my boss know what I was doing.

Aardvark Printing

I sell online, and one day I got an order for some stickers for an anime char. I'm not a very big anime fan... So I thought it was a hand drawn one, and the person who wanted the stickers was the one who drew it - I was wrong... I printed them 50 stickers, all of the same image - Not 2 months later I get a letter from a lawyer saying I'm part of a lawsuit for infringing on their property theft. The letter came from a lawyer in Colorado...and I'm in Canada, so I figured screw it, I'd ignore it and I didnt care... I used to torrent a lot as a kid and I got those letters everyday. This time I knew I didnt torrent, or do anything illegal so I ignored it. Then a month later I got a reminder saying I was going to get a default judgement against me if I did not settle before hand. I did some googling... turns out they represented a company that makes Hatsune miku - Some digital singer people go crazy over... I google her, and sure enough it was those stickers.

Being Canadian I didn't care too much... but I figured I'd e-mail them to straighten it out, just incase I got into trouble at the border. They sent me a photo of the invoice from the person who bought the stickers and said I had no right to reproduce it... Fair enough, innocent mistake - I showed them my listings and all the stuff I usually print.. told them I wasnt aware it was their IP, and thought it was hand drawn. Heres a word for word reply... Minus removing any info people can google and find the lawsuit with.

"Thank you for reaching out to us in this matter and for providing additional details about yourself and your store. As you know, our client, found that you were infringing its xx trademarks by offering for sale the product in the attached evidence. You may find the court pleadings and other relevant documents here:

Considering that you are a small seller and not the type of mass infringer that this lawsuit intended to target, our client would agree to a settlement of $2,000 to resolve the matter, which would include the reactivation of your store and a dismissal from the lawsuit.

Please respond at your earliest convenience."

I got mass sued along with 340 other people. I replied to them, saying $2000 for printing something someone asked me to, that I thought they owned is a bit steep - That I see I infinged on their property, not knowingly - all I made was $50 on the sale, provided them with the invoice... And said will I admit fault, I would gladly make restitutions that made sense - They told me to counter... then rejected my counter and said $1000 was the lowest they would go. I did some googling... and this company constantly mass sues people, and constantly gets default judgements in the tune of hundreds of thousands awarded to them - so I said screw it, paid the 1K... And now if I'm printing something that looks professional... I reverse image search to make sure its not someone elses IP.

I probably could have fought it and won - but a lawyer would cost me more than 1K. And thats what they count on....

I wouldn't ever touch anything copyrighted. If coke cola came to me and asked for a coke sign? Sure... If a store came to me and said they were running a coke promotion and wanted me to print them a coke banner? Nope... not worth it. Sure coke probably wouldn't care... But the companies authorized to print coke might... And all it takes is 1 case to lose your business. A lot of people dont care, and I;'m sure 99% of people wont get caught - but why risk losing your business to make $100?

[Edit] I edited out some documents as well as names, I just remembered I signed an NDA with my settlement, so I'd rather not link to the court documents...even if there is 350 other people in it.. :rolleyes:
"I probably could have fought it and won - but a lawyer would cost me more than 1K"I probably could have fought it and won - but a lawyer would cost me more than 1K"

And they know it. It's a form of patent trolling. Sorry you got caught in it.

ikarasu

"I probably could have fought it and won - but a lawyer would cost me more than 1K"I probably could have fought it and won - but a lawyer would cost me more than 1K"

And they know it. It's a form of patent trolling. Sorry you got caught in it.
Yes, but unfortunately it seems to be rampant... Everyone is sue happy, it's a quick way to make money.

Normally I'd fight it out of spite, but I was in the wrong, even if it was unknowingly... So I just bit the bullet and took it as a business expense. It sucked because I was just starting out with my side business, didn't even pay off the printer yet.... But it taught me to be careful, and was only 1k instead of 100... So I guess in the long run it was worth it!

Boudica

The only way for the use stated is to get permission and artwork from each copyright holder. You cannot use, for the Mario example above, on a trailer. It even says right on the image, for editorial use only. While it is not your job to police Nintendo's IP, using and profiting on their IP without their permission will land squarely on you. In a sue happy world, much better safe than sorry.

That being said if you are a flea market vendor or running out of your garage and already illegally reselling copyrighted works then go for it. A lot of the companies can and do actively pursue infringement. We do some work on convenience stores for a Coca Cola distributor. As such we have been given access to KO Adland, Multiad Kwikee, DMEX, Monsterenergymedia, etc. I remember one time I downloaded something on Coca Cola that was not intended for this market. Literally less than a day later, KO Legal was in touch just to be sure we were not going to be using that.
Oops, I didn't didn't notice that it was for editorial use only when I posted that. Good catch

Johnny Best

Ever since the computer, internet and printers, the sign industry is one big copy business. "it look handdrawn so I did not figure it to be legal", You can see it on here all the time. Nobody has anything orignal. They respond with a screenshot, giff or video copied off the net and don't get me started on fonts. And then you tell a story of someone coming after you by copying their artwork. Instead of fining you with money you should get your fingers cut off so you can't push the button on the computer and printer.
It not only goes for the electronics but your brain as well. You get your distorted views on politics from somewhere else. someone else's thought on the subject that fits your lifestyle. Start trying to do your own artwork to sell, oh wait a minute, that would be nonprofitable and then you definitely need to keep that day job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:roflmao: Got that right. It spreads into their very veins and runs rampant throughout their body(s). No one is original anymore. Ideas, thoughts, conversation or just being yourself. Everyone tends to simulate or copy.

ikarasu

There is nothing original anymore. Take any design you've done from scratch...do a reverse image search, and see 100 designs just like it. Humans have been around for so long, theres millions upon millions of designers and companies and billions of logos... everything will have a similarity. The online font matchers have something like 32 million fonts in their catalogue - How many different ways can you type a letter?

Take the Simpsons and Family guy as an example - Theyve even admitted that anything Family guy does... has been done in the simpsons because it's been around so long. People may not do it on purpose, and it may be original to them... but I guarantee it's been done before - maybe 1 out of a million hasn't.

ikarasu

Ever since the computer, internet and printers, the sign industry is one big copy business. "it look handdrawn so I did not figure it to be legal", You can see it on here all the time. Nobody has anything orignal. They respond with a screenshot, giff or video copied off the net and don't get me started on fonts. And then you tell a story of someone coming after you by copying their artwork. Instead of fining you with money you should get your fingers cut off so you can't push the button on the computer and printer.
By this logic Firesprint, 4over, all the wholesale printers who only print are just monkeys that push buttons and shouldn't be doing it. Sure, it's our jobs to make sure we don't print anything copyrighted - But screw ups happen. I'm sure they've let a few things slip through that shouldn't have slipped through as well.

Hell, Amazon is selling so much copyrighted stuff they shouldn't be, as well as Ebay, etsy... Pretty much every shop. Copyright / IP Theft is rampant, and it's impossible to catch everything. Maybe we should shut the world down, go back to the good ol' days with no internet or fancy computers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
By this logic Firesprint, 4over, all the wholesale printers who only print are just monkeys that push buttons and shouldn't be doing it. Sure, it's our jobs to make sure we don't print anything copyrighted - But screw ups happen. I'm sure they've let a few things slip through that shouldn't have slipped through as well.

Hell, Amazon is selling so much copyrighted stuff they shouldn't be, as well as Ebay, etsy... Pretty much every shop. Copyright / IP Theft is rampant, and it's impossible to catch everything.
Maybe we should shut the world down, go back to the good ol' days with no internet or fancy computers.
I was so hoping that would happen back in Y2K. It would be a wonderful boost to business again, if that actually took place. Think of all the wannabes and dumb sh!ts that would be outta work..... instantly. You're not as stupid as you come off.