• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GCR/UCR, Ink limiting and custom profiles

zcus

Hello,

First time poster here!

I am creating custom profiles for my schools Roland VersaCAMM 540 (self study) and I am running into a gradient/blacks problem.. I'm using a (gretag) X-rite I1pro (Version 1) and the accompanied Eye-one Match software to create the icc profiles.. The problem is when I compare the canned roland profiles to the custom ones i create, the gradient gray scale swatches are not a consistent/smooth ramp and some of the black is being clipped...

I suspect the problem is to do with one or both of these things:

1 - When I set the single ink limits during linearization - I generally set the blacks (k) between 60% to 75% limit and a total ink limit between 200 to 250% depending on media being used - the gradient swatches in my custom profiles generally ramp up OK, until about the same place where I set the black ink limit at 60 to 70%, then just go to full black

2 - The Eye-One Match software doesn't have an option for GCR/UCR (there profiler pro does) I thought the custom profile would just look after the GCR/UCR "behind the scenes" so to speak... Is it the lack of GCR/UCR adjustment in the Eye-One Match software that is causing the problem in my grey scale swatches or the Ink limiting? Or both and is there anything I can do about it??

The color looks better in the custom profiles, but the Grey scale swatch ramp looks better in the canned profiles.

Thanks for any advice!

Correct Color

Um...

To try and be as delicate as possible:

Bottom line is that unless you're just doing this for fun, and are using the church's printer ink and materials to try and educate yourself, you're never going to get better profiles than the stock Versaworks profiles using an ancient i1 and Eye-One Match.

Fact is that it's a huge misunderstanding in this industry that all ICC profiles are pretty much the same, and all ICC profile-making engines do pretty much the same thing.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Many years ago I added them up, and at the time I came up with 26 different ICC profile-making engines. One was and still is clearly the best, a few were good, most were mediocre and a few sucked.

And the one that sucked the loudest for making CMYK profiles was and surely still is Eye-One Match.

It was free for a reason and you did get just exactly what you paid for.

Also I'd just note that while UCR/GRC are pretty much outdated terms, and are better described as black generation strategy, it is true that some black generation strategy has to be written into any CMYL profile, and yes, in your case Eye-One Match is doing it behind the scenes.

But the canned black generation strategy in this case is almost certainly not creating your issue. It's most likely something in your profile build, or simply Eye-One Match itself.

Yes. It really is that bad.

dypinc

Um...

Many years ago I added them up, and at the time I came up with 26 different ICC profile-making engines. One was and still is clearly the best, a few were good, most were mediocre and a few sucked.

You have eluded to this a number of times in the past.

Inquiring minds would love to see your list.