• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gen5 Printhead Preservation

tylercrum

Have a ricoh gen5 head that has been used, so it has uv ink in it. I'm wanting to flush it and then save it as a backup, emergency printhead. My question is, should I flush it and then leave the flush in the head, or should I flush it and then clear the flush out before I wrap the head up for storage?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You want to flush it and then flush out the solution with air. Leaving the solution in can cause damage over time.

tbaker

This actually depends. I know our print heads, once they’ve had ink in them get stored with solution in them. Again depending on what ink you have ( we have 2, solvent, and storage solution) anything with a solvent component should be removed, but this can be problematic getting it all out. Once you have it clean, wrap it in ordinary Saran Wrap, and put it in an enclosed box, the Saran prevents residual from getting everywhere, and the box inhibits ink curing in the nozzle orifices.

Jason DeLuca

Not sure about the Gen5 heads but the Konica Minolta heads have to have the flush removed or it will degrade the heads.