• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

General Formulations Laminate 231 Automark no good.

First off...We bought this roll because it was marketed as optically clear. We usually use 210..

We had a storefront window that the customer wanted window perf on so we thought this would be a good way to protect it as well as using it for back glass perf...

#1. It is not optically clear..at least from behind..(Luckily the customer said he didn't care about that just wanted UV protection) Whew...

#2. it is a pain to mess with...the adhesive is almost too strong and comes off easily. It sticks (transfers) to the laminator very quickly if not removed.

#3. It is a pain to get started in the laminator...have to send the coro sled in at least 2 times before it goes through without wrinkling.

#4. Cut decals weed poorly and are sticky

That being said....it looks like a fine laminate once it is actually on the sign. As far as reviewing its UV protection I guess I will let you know in 5 years....

#4.5 backing paper is weak and tears easily

where am I mistaken/thoughts?

jayhawksigns

The only item I have noticed is 4.5, but it seems like all of the laminates I have had lately are getting thinner on their backer.

Here I haven't had your issue with item 3 or 4. I have actually been liking my new vinyl/laminate combination better then the 3M pair we had been using when comparing ease of weeding.

It might be ok after adjusting my pressure dials which were set for 210 and I may have gotten a bad batch...but I have cussed it too many times to not say something...Don't get me wrong we're not going to throw the roll out or anything and it runs fine after you get it started

h82loose

Just to confirm you are using the correct item. The 231 is the ultra calendered gloss laminate. It is the vehicle wrap laminate. It is not the optically clear laminate. The liner on all optically clear laminates will be the clear poly liner not paper. I do agree the liner is thin and can be a pain in the but.

Page 34 of the cowboy magazine says optically clear...are you telling me the cowboy lied?! :)

Thanks for the tip on clear lams having plastic liners...fool me once and such

meh the adhesive was clear...but not the lam itself...
I see thanks for informing me, I do hate to bash a cibersupply product :( If I had just ordered from them they would have made sure I had the right thing..doh

CS-SignSupply

We still love ya Dave. Order from us or not, feel free to call and we will give you all the help we can. Then if we earn the business, order from us.

By the way Dave, you have a shipping credit on your account :)

h82loose

I am in no way soliciting business from Kentucky. I have been told by many manufacturers that the paper leaches in to the adhesive and causes the cloudiness that makes it not optically clear. I was just told by GF that the 115 optically clear lam is discontinued. That would have been a good fit for the store front.
ps. this is why I love and recomend this forum.