• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

General Formulations Laminate Question

dethsky

Hey guys I have a question about General Formulations Laminate Concept 100 Gloss, 101 Lustre, and 102 Matte. This Vinyl laminate is supposed to have a 3 year durability to environmental exposures. I have to not used this stuff outside before and we are going to be doing a job where this laminate will be exposed to the outdoor elements everyday. I just need a good answer to how this stuff will hold up against, heat, rain, and snow.

Thanks!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
With those types of elements it might be best to use a CAST product not a calandared like the Gen form.

dethsky

What do you mean CAST product? Also I have been looking and I found a product called ClearJet, its a spray on protective that says it will last 3 to 5 years.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Laminates come in CAST or CALANDARED, CAST laminates do not shrink like a normal laminate would and when a laminate shrinks in cold temps it will peel back off your print because it wants to return to its original state (imagine a ball of pizza dough that wants to roll back into a ball after rolling out) CAST products dont do this.

Cast-pour out melted vinyl and create a sheet so when it cures it is in it's original shape.
Calendered- Take a thick sheet of cast vinyl. Squeeze it down to a thin sheet. While you heat to get it to press and stay. There is always some form of memory and this is why calendered always shrinks and doesn't last as long.