• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gerber Edge 1 LPT1 (parallel) problems. Omega 1.53

RobinSalaSkap

Hello.

We have an Gerber Edge 1 with software Omega 1.53.
We also have a Gerber GSX cutter.

I have installed the software and have Gerber Edge on LPT1 and GSZ on COM1.

GSPtray worked great for installing the GSX but when i try to install the Edge it doesnt work.

I am only being able to select the LPT1 for installation and I have the Gerber options.
In the check my installed Gerber devices under GSPtray i can see that both machines are idle but hte GSX got numbers after its names so i guess thats for responding and working.

When i go into the composer and check output all devices and trying to install the printer from there its greyed out on the printer window part but not on the cutter.

I have no idea what is wrong but i guess it must be something with the LPT1 port.

Anyone got any idea what might be wrong?
I can send pictures if that helps =)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Do you have a security dongle also installed on an LPT port? If so is this a recent purchase or has it been working in the past?

RobinSalaSkap

I have a USB stick that I think are the dongel. Omega software doesn't work when I don't have it in. How does a LPT security dongel looks like? :)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The USB dongle for Omega was introduced with version 2.0. Installing it as an upgrade involved a procedure that disabled the old LPT dongle from working. The disabled dongles were left with the licensees and, regrettably, some have ended up being sold as if they were still working. They have 25 pins and will plug directly into an LPT port. If you have a USB dongle then it is almost certainly able to install a copy of Omega 2.0 or later. It may have allowed you to install the 1.53 version but it may not be willing to allow you to install your Edge. It is possible also that your dongle is for the CS version and not for the CP version which is required to run an Edge.

Again, I ask if you acquired this setup recently and if this is your first attempt to install and run it.

You can probably find out what you actually have if you launch System Identification String on the GSPTray menu.

RobinSalaSkap

Hello.

Thanks for replying and helping me out. Really nice of you!
The version we have is 1.56 so i wrote it wrong in the topic.

Ok so the dongle is introduced after the 2.0 version, so that could possibly be the reason its not working.
Is it possible for the GSx to be working even when the Edge isnt if its a software issue?

We got this setup recently from a person who have been using this for years.

Can you explain what CP and CS version means? :)

So there is no way to find out what version the dongle supports?
Might be best to try to get the old computer that ran this setup before and use that one, especially if the install cd is gone right?

Regards.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The CS version is only for design and vinyl cutting. As such, you plotter is supported and your Edge is not. The CP version is for both cutting and printing and will allow the installation of an Edge. As I said in my last post, you should be able to see what features your dongle supports by clicking in the System Identification String in the GSPTray menu.

I have attached what mine looks like.

System Tray.jpg

If you have an Edge Ready dongle then you should go to the seller and demand the version 2.0 CDs. If it isn't Edge Ready, then one can only wonder how the old computer was driving an Edge. Be aware that version 1.5.6 is about 15 years old and very out of date. It will be difficult for you to get support from anyone.