• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge 2 / Omega issue

Stefan

Hello,

anyone got a clue as to why we got this error message in GQMgr when sending a job to our edge2?

It basically says that "A unit connected to the computer isn't working" (see attached screenshot).

After a restart it's working again.

Computer is running Win10 pro, and Omega version is 5 (latest update according to Help menu 'check for updates').

Attachments

• edge_fel.jpg
    edge_fel.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 293

FunkotronXL

I have been running into the same exact issue recently; with the exception of the error code listing "Line 1270." Same as above with Stefan but using windows 7.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If you're using a USB adapter check to see that the power management box is unchecked for the root hub so that it never turns off to save power.

FunkotronXL

Thank you for responding Fred. The power management settings are already set up to never turn off to save power.

We have been putting a band-aid on the issue for a few days now by rebooting the computer and power cycling the edge 2 as a temporary resolution. Currently waiting for to see if the issue crops up again.

Currently referencing this post: Job Stuck in Gerber Queue Manager . When the issue comes up again I plan to investigate if the file is stuck within the folder or not. May not necessarily be a long term solution though :(

FunkotronXL

If you're using a USB adapter check to see that the power management box is unchecked for the root hub so that it never turns off to save power.

Thanks for the response Fred. We already have all of the power management settings disabled within windows to prevent this.

We have been putting a band-aid on this issue for a few days by rebooting the computer and power cycling the edge 2. Currently waiting for the issue to crop up again and check the folder instructions within this post: Job Stuck in Gerber Queue Manager entry #3.

FunkotronXL

Previous replies are getting hung up because of hyperlink usage needing moderator approval. Hoping they don't dump through later.

Thanks for the response Fred.

Edit* Power management settings are already disabled in windows for usb devices.

We have been handling this with a band-aid method for the past several days: reboot computer, power cycle edge 2, proceed. Waiting for this issue to come up later today again to try checking for some advice from you and user Tony Teveris from a post back in 2012.
"You should be able to do as Fred suggested.

You can find the QUEUE by clicking on the following:

Windows Start menu/ All Programs/ Gerber Omega 4.00/ Gerber Folder Locations/ Gerber PrintCut Queue - this will start a Windows explorer in to that folder.

There you can select the file and delete it, if it's "locked" by GQMGR you will have to "kill" GQMGR and then delete it.

Are you connected via a serial com port or USB to Serial cable?

Does the job finish at the router?

When we send data to Gerber devices many times the GQMGR will finish sending and we "probe" the device to tell us when it's done with all the data we sent it. Sometimes if static or some electrical noise waks the communications line were screwed and thus the possible lock up. At least thats my story today."

FunkotronXL

Unsuccessful.

Error prompted again after loading the job onto the Edge II, still listed within queue in GQMgr. Checked folder, file not present within the folder path despite being present on the queue list within GQMgr for the Edge II.
Went into Properties within GQMgr and using the device's "Info" button, relays back "Device is On-Line" which is what the Edge II's LCD displayed. Edge II still not prompting the job on the LCD display. Terminated the job from queue, retried "Info" button and prompts "There was a communication error with the device." Unplugged the USB to serial adapter on the comp, replugged, sent job again, works... currently awaiting issue to occur again.

Tony Teveris

The above mentioned errors have to do with the USB communications to the Edge device. They are system level errors so I'm not sure the "why". In the past when these types occur I cancel the job if possible from either the computer side (GQmgr) or the Edge side, unplug the USB cable from the computer end and reconnect.

FunkotronXL

The above mentioned errors have to do with the USB communications to the Edge device. They are system level errors so I'm not sure the "why". In the past when these types occur I cancel the job if possible from either the computer side (GQmgr) or the Edge side, unplug the USB cable from the computer end and reconnect.

That is very similar to the method we are switching to for the time being.

You're previous post is also helping with a similar issue, on another slave system for three older Gerber tangentinal plotters. Files just randomly stop mid-plot or just don't receive files after a morning startup. Only 1 plotter is affected whereas the other two never have issue.

Going to keep that window minimized and at the ready from now on. Very tempted to just do away with these usb adapters and switch to pcie cards for both serial and parallel connections in the future.

On a side note: I really enjoy this forum and really appreciate any and all help you guys ever offer. Thanks a bunch for participating so much.