• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge 2 Power Supply Blowing after power cut

I have a Gerber Edge 2, and had the printer turned on, and was just working on the computer getting the file ready to send to the printer When my wife turned a lamp on in the house the bulb blew and it tripped all the power out. When i tried to turn the power back on the printer it would not power up, i eventually replace the blown 15a fuse on the power supply unit, the 2 x 10a fuses were fine directly above the power in. once i turned it on and it blew 2 little ceramic things near the capacitors. i have a second machine i can cross reference the power-supply to try and find out what as blown, but as anyone ever experienced this problem with the power supply. Here is a link to the video of the items that keep blowing

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Had the same issue with my fx - my insurance co decided it was cheaper to replace it than get me a loaner , ship the unit to gerber , fix and return ..... I love State Farm . $ 13,999. - Cost me $1000 deductible . And they didn’t want the old one so now I have spare parts or poss I might get the in laws to deliver it to gerber and I’ll have them check it out $150. Might be worth it .
Careful checking the edge- the capacitors store power and can kill you if they discharge when touched

FunkotronXL

Power supply is likely finished unless you are a wizard with soldering and electronics. Jeff is correct, watch what ya touch in there, it can kill you. Your video is showing some kind of short circuit.

Were you using a surge protector for the printer?

Best to treat these printers like a high end computer and use a high joule rated surge protector. 3000 joules minimum in my opinion, lots of cheap ones with low ratings out there.

Had the same issue with my fx - my insurance co decided it was cheaper to replace it than get me a loaner , ship the unit to gerber , fix and return ..... I love State Farm . $ 13,999. - Cost me $1000 deductible . And they didn’t want the old one so now I have spare parts or poss I might get the in laws to deliver it to gerber and I’ll have them check it out $150. Might be worth it .
Careful checking the edge- the capacitors store power and can kill you if they discharge when touched
Cheers I’ll be sure to discharge them

Power supply is likely finished unless you are a wizard with soldering and electronics. Jeff is correct, watch what ya touch in there, it can kill you. Your video is showing some kind of short circuit.

Were you using a surge protector for the printer?

Best to treat these printers like a high end computer and use a high joule rated surge protector. 3000 joules minimum in my opinion, lots of cheap ones with low ratings out there.

diggindesigns

Hi Jeff, This just happened to me. I went to turn my Gerber Edge FX on. Heard a POP and it wont turn on. I have had this machine for 3 years now. I changed the fuses thinking that was the issue. It won't boot up at all. Do you have any suggestions from your experiences? I will be getting with Gerber and my insurance company as well. But figured I'd ask first.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Hi Jeff, This just happened to me. I went to turn my Gerber Edge FX on. Heard a POP and it wont turn on. I have had this machine for 3 years now. I changed the fuses thinking that was the issue. It won't boot up at all. Do you have any suggestions from your experiences? I will be getting with Gerber and my insurance company as well. But figured I'd ask first.

I let the insurance co know what was what ( they have no clue)
I have $1000. Deductible with replacement insurance no depreciation
Must crate and pallet the machine and sent to gerber 90 lbs. ( if no box $500 + for box * must have box and pallet) private delivery co needed
Loss of income
Loaner machine
Repair est.
fix or not
Return shipping
Could be weeks could be months
I also let them know I had thousands in machine specific substrates now “ useless “

I told them $13999. New delivered in 3 days or see above ( depending on co can do exchange of old machine for $2000. Credit .on new one - My insurance co opted not to do this so I have a “ brick” fix )
my premium did go up $400. This year
Gerber service contract no longe covers print head so if that went also $5000. Or so ...
Gerber was no help just wanted me to send it in in their defense not much they could do if you can’t log on to it .

AF

The caps are only rated to 85c. The sparks look to be coming from under one of the capacitors. If you plan to repair the board, upgrading to 105c caps would worthwhile since they don’t get cooked as easily. Sparks cause damage so you may need to repair traces once the offending component is removed. Any electronics geek in your area can show you what to do. A capacitor is cheap so worth trying. Digikey.com probably has it in stock. From my experience, a board failure is often from a single component or trace and can costs pennies to repair. Heed all death warnings.