• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gerber Edge 2 power supply issue

Chosen23

One man shop
I am not 100% sure but I believe I need to have my power supply rebuilt. Machine constantly keeps resetting itself over and over. Any leads or info would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chosen23

One man shop
What do you mean resetting? the unit actually turning on and off at initial startup?

When you turn on machine and it goes through the initializing, beeps etc. it just keeps Intermittently keeps doing over and over. And last week it started here and there when just in idle it would reset and even during printing it would do same thing. Once that happened it would loose the job in the middle and ruin print. Now it won’t even stay online for more then few seconds without it just trying to do it over and over. It’s really weird. My thought and some others was the voltage was dropping making the unit think it’s just getting turned on.

Titch Sanders

Are there any 'error messages' showing on the lcd? I had this once and it said 'Close Cover'.. meaning the cover/lid/part with the head in & foil motors etc.. Lid?
Well it was closed obviously and assume it could have been the microswitch.. however, you can disable that on the settings/setup on scrolling through settings.. Cover error ON/OFF
that solved it!! Just try to see if you get an error message as I missed it (?) once or twice...

Chosen23

One man shop
Are there any 'error messages' showing on the lcd? I had this once and it said 'Close Cover'.. meaning the cover/lid/part with the head in & foil motors etc.. Lid?
Well it was closed obviously and assume it could have been the microswitch.. however, you can disable that on the settings/setup on scrolling through settings.. Cover error ON/OFF
that solved it!! Just try to see if you get an error message as I missed it (?) once or twice...

Thanks man, I haven’t noticed a error. But I am not sure if the cover is closed or not during startup does it matter. But I appreciate it and will shit that off and try that for sure.

Titch Sanders

Thanks man, I haven’t noticed a error. But I am not sure if the cover is closed or not during startup does it matter. But I appreciate it and will **** that off and try that for sure.

If the cover is open when you switch on, there's usually a large 'click' noise... but you can switch off all sorts of things on there.. try them all if it's not needed.. 'Out of foil' for example.. Edge may just e telling itself there's no foil for example.. and STOP! Micro switches etc... DUST!! have you blown it all out.. get the compressor, not too high, on it.. works wonders!!
Titch UK

Chosen23

One man shop
If the cover is open when you switch on, there's usually a large 'click' noise... but you can switch off all sorts of things on there.. try them all if it's not needed.. 'Out of foil' for example.. Edge may just e telling itself there's no foil for example.. and STOP! Micro switches etc... DUST!! have you blown it all out.. get the compressor, not too high, on it.. works wonders!!
Titch UK

Thanks I haven’t blown out yet. I bought it new back when they where released and haven’t used it for over 10-12yrs but I used to use everyday. I will do that for sure.im looking to buy another one now and hard to find. Also ppl advertise print head hrs. But not sure if that’s in a new head or machines total printing time?

Titch Sanders

Hi Buddy, you'll know better than me then!! I use an Edge every day, and have for almost 15 years.. well at least 4 out of every 5 days anyway.
I guess if yours has been laid up for so long, there's nothing 'wrong' with it.. they just don't fail sitting, unless it's damp.. my bet is a *****y good clean out, take all connections on the boards on & off a few times to 'clean' them... sounds to me it just needs a few days of warming through.
I too am needing another as I have three here, in different states of issues.. but now do need a reliable tractor so may have to dig deep... (that's not very deep here either!!)
Let us know how you get on, yes??
Also I think if they are getting print hours from the LCD readout.. that's the machines running hours...isn't it?
Titch

Joe House

Sensor errors will give you an error message. If you're not getting any error messages, then don't go turning off the sensors. Only a couple off things cause those symptoms. Bad our overheating power supply our bad or overheating main board. Open it up and clean all of the dust out with canned air or gentle, filtered compressed air.
If the problem persists, you can carefully measure the voltageat the back of the power supply where the leads attach. The big leads are for the print head and will vary from Edge to Edge based on the print head ohm rating. The other 2 sets should be labeled. Watch for any variation in output from the smaller terminals.
In either case, you're probably looking at a couple grand to replace either of them.

God luck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Titch Sanders

Yep fair comment Joe, but in my case it was the Close Cover message, which meant that the micro switch on the lid was either at fault, or simply dirty yes. That message and 'no foil' as examples, stop anything operating.. just like the switch on a seat of a ride on mower! ( damned nuisance!)
If this machine hasn't been used for a while, it will most certainly be a case of dust/dirt build up, as you say.. a good clean out will help!
Titch

Titch Sanders

Also, to be honest, it wasn't until three/four maybe five ties I saw that message of the cover...in truth, I can't remember if I'd looked at the screen every time it stopped..literally, just as the machine went to print... but the time I did see it, I cancelled the error by turning it to OFF, and fine ever since...
Just have to remember to Close the lid, every time I print now...

Chosen23

One man shop
Thanks guys, I and going to try cleaning out and I’ll update what comes of that. I appreciate the input.

Jburns

Yeah I agree- clean out and check all connections- but first try changing your power cord to the unit - it may be loose causing a problem.

nickmiser91

Thanks guys, I and going to try cleaning out and I’ll update what comes of that. I appreciate the input.

Did you get this error resolved? I am having the same problem on my machine. Gerber support thinks the power supply needs replacing (over the phone conversation) and we hardly use the machine, not sure if this is worth fixing.

Steve Dansie

We have just experienced the problem of our machine constantly initializing and after reading the replies here we looked at the power supply as the problem. Dust or a sticky contact. A couple of gentle taps with a rubber mallet and we are up and running again. We will of course be acquiring a replacement part, but it has got us running in the mean time.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
your couple taps could be a couple things. typically, we blow out with compressed air.
next step is to check those switches
next carefully unplug then plug back in, a time or 2 EVERY CONNECTOR

finally, you can take your power supply to a electronic repair shop (kind of place you
would get a tv or vcr, or stereo repaired) if you can find one. ask them to resolder sny questionable connections, especially heavy, high current connections. anyone who does this type of work will know what a ringed solder joint is

Attila Nagy

Try disconnect printer cable an see if it still doing it. If not, Get an older printer cable. My one done the same thing. The power supply was ok.