• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gerber Edge Classic

Tim lazurka

Owner/operator sign and striping business
Hi guys I have a Gerber Edge Classic that I am currently running in Windows XP 32 bit. It work good just slow in Omega 4.0. Do i have any other options for a better faster operating system that will work good? Suggestions? thanks tim

Tim lazurka

If i am doing multiple copies of a decal it will take for ever or freeze and then i have to restart program. I am using a Pentium 4 computer. So I suppose my problem is software speed, it prints great otherwise.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If i am doing multiple copies of a decal it will take for ever or freeze and then i have to restart program. I am using a Pentium 4 computer. So I suppose my problem is software speed, it prints great otherwise.

Sounds like you answered your own question. Upgrade your computer and you'll probably see a good bit more speed.

Tim lazurka

Yes it appears I did. What do I upgrade to tho? I understand the Edge operates on a 32 but system . Not many options is there?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Going to a more modern CPU will increase your speed noticeably as will upgrading to a newer version of Windows ... even if you run it as a 32 bit version. Please, however, realize that I'm just talking off the top of my head about one of any number of possibilities. You could have a problem in your Edge, or the cable that connects it to your computer, or the installation of the Edge to the computer, etc., etc., etc.

Is your Edge hooked up using a Gerber supplied USB to parallel cable?

Do certain jobs run better than others?

Signsfyi

Hi guys I have a Gerber Edge Classic that I am currently running in Windows XP 32 bit. It work good just slow in Omega 4.0. Do i have any other options for a better faster operating system that will work good? Suggestions? thanks tim

Here is what I did while I was still running the Edge classic. I upgraded to Windows 7 32bit along with updating to my then (new pc: Dell i5 3550 3.3ghz, 8g RAM). My pc did not have a parallel port, so I added a card with one in it. Everything worked great. I will tell you that it helps to from time to time, delete all saved seppath files that are created when sending jobs to the Edge. Emptying that folder helps with speed in sending jobs to the Edge.
I still run the same PC, but switched to Win 7 64bit, because of other software that I used. In that time, I had also upgraded to an Edge FX. I am sticking with Win 7 for stability and comfort with the operating system. Some will disagree, but that is what I am currently doing. I suspect I will jump to Win 10 once it has a longer track record. Hope that helps.

Tim lazurka

Fred i am just using a parallel no usb.
Signsfyi I am going to try a different computer I found a windows xp I5 computer someone is going to let me borrow to see if this helps. Thanks for your help guys!

Tim lazurka

Fred i don't know if it is a gerber supplied one or not but it is probably 10 feet long. Printing doesn't seem to be an issue it is just designing on the old computer.

Tim lazurka

Thanks Fred for your suggestions I appreciate your help, I will see what a different computer does.