Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerber Edge FX Casette Error Help

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by FORMATMOTO, Jul 9, 2019.

1. FORMATMOTO

FORMATMOTO New Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Durango
    Hey guys,

I am new to Signs101. My name is Zack and I recently aquired a gerber Edge FX. It has been a printer I have been wanting for my Motocross Graphics business for some time.

I have tried to do an offline test print with it and it continually gives me a casette error.

I checked the Clutches and the crews are not broken. The foil motor sounds like it is working.

The casette lowers, the motor whirs and sometimes tightens the foils. depending on it lining up properly.

It seems finicky with the cartridge needing to be put in the right place. I checked the spring alignment of the cartridge and it seems good.

Please let me know if you need more information or if you can help me.

I will be using this with an older hs-15 + and am going be upgrading my omega 2.5CP shortly here.

I also have an Edge 2 That I have never touched that has low hours, if anyone is interested I will let it go cheap. I am trying to get this FX fixed and get my software upgraded.

Denco is the closest "engineer" near me and they charge 175.00/HR plus parts to fix these bad babys, any info on how I can test it to see what it is would be a huge, huge help.

Excited to start using an Edge! All I have ever printed with is Mutohs and Rolands! Time to get some nice flo and foil colors into my arsenal!

Thank you kindly to anyone that helps!

Tags:
  2. Jeff grossman

Jeff grossman Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Pa 19320
    Gerber foils or 2nd party
    Do all caddies react the same way
    Is the foil loaded correctly in the caddy
    Can you advance the foil by hand in the caddy
    Check all micro switches in caddy slot on FX for contact
    If all looks good next on to the driver motors and clutches

3. FORMATMOTO

FORMATMOTO New Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Durango

Gerber FX foils/caddies.

I was noticing they would occasionally not tighten(IE the motors wouldnt move far enough in to move the foil).

Yes, once I unlock the springs the caddies move fine(by hand).

Checked the Clutches and nothing is wrong with them.

How would I go about checking microswitches once caddy is installed?

Thanks for your time-

4. Jeff grossman

Jeff grossman Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Pa 19320
    Not sure how to test them except when the cover is open make sure the end groves on the cassette engage the two switches when slid in . Maybe an empty cassette might get a different error- then one would know if the switches work ..... maybe ...
    Also do the cassettes have labels on the end ? Between the two micro switches is a reader type thing that reads the foil info - wiper Like bar on foil with info shows through cassette window - make sure plastic bar is correct inside cassette. Only other thing I can think of is taking side covers off blow out and check connections ..... don’t touch power supply it holds a charge and can kill you and unplug unit
    Do you know when it last ran ?
    I have a “ door stop” FX that took a surge I experiment on , free spare parts I call it , insurance company didn’t want it when they replaced it with a new one beeps once , beeps twice and nothing .... blank screen

5. Alex P

Alex P New Member

Oct 9, 2014
    UK
    I use various FX foils over here in the UK - genuine and non and sometimes get the error (Retry cassette!!). I put the foil in another caddy and it works. Another error I get from time to time on Magenta foil is (check foil!!), I just put it down to a bad foil. When inserting it should beep when the caddy is fully home in position.

6. FORMATMOTO

FORMATMOTO New Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Durango
    I have tried several casettes and get the same error. switches are fine, everything beeps once in position. I have checked just about all I can. Thank you all for your advice, I will update once the engineer comes here and helps me figure it out.

7. nlnickolatos

nlnickolatos New Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    If the cartridge is lowering, whirring, and not grabbing, I've found it helps to 'tug' the cartridge towards the clip on the user side.'

Not sure if that addresses your issue, but it's been a nifty trick that's helped me out.