• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gerber Edge FX issues with printing

artofacks1

My Edge FX has been going strong for 6 years but now its acting funky.

Problem A.
1. I send a job to print.
2. Sometimes it prints , sometimes it says foil error and moves.

Problem B
1. The job stops because foil finished. It rewinds almost 3 further back than what it use to.
I understand that happens and we get banding but not it goes way back and mis aligns a lot.

Problem C
1. Every color after the first goes back further and further. It use to never do that, I understand some foils dont line up cus of weight or what not but not after each color.

I'm afraid that my sensor is bad and that my head is going. Seems odd cus i thought these machines would last longer. Sensor i get it, but the head just feels to quick.

Any ideas guys how i can fix this or trouble shoot and make sure I dont have these problems anymore?

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Sounds like a sensor - are you using gerber foils or aftermarket? Have you ever lubed the worm gear ?
Head failure would leave pixel blank strips or blank sections . Gerber has lubriplate grease ( or Amazon) and instructions are on the gerber website- I’ve had issues with conversion kits from edge to fx and aftermarket foils due to being too tight or loose but slight adjustment of end caps solved the problem .
TITLE:
Category:
Gerber FastFact #: Supplied by:
Last Modified: Summary:
Page 1 of 2 Gerber EDGE FX Z-Axis Lead screw and Nut Lubrication
EDGE Series
Gerber Service
August 7, 2013
This procedure is intended to help maintain the smooth operation of the Z-axis lead screw and nut, should any vibration or squeaking become evident.
Only Lubriplate DS-ES should be used for lubricating the Z-axis lead screw and nut. Other lubricants are not recommended as they may cause premature wear of the lubricated parts, contaminate unintended surfaces or the print head, and void your Gerber EDGE FX warranty.
GSP sells Lubriplate DS-ES:
• GSP part number P83517A
• LUBRIPLATE DS-ES 1-3⁄4 OZ TUBE –
You can also locate a Lubriplate distributor near you:
• www. Lubriplate.com/locator/index.asp
• They can also be contacted by phone at 800-733-4755 or 973-589-9150. • The part number for Lubriplate DS-ES, is L0137-086
During this procedure lubricate only the lead screw. Avoid contact with other parts or surfaces.
To lubricate the lead screw
1 Remove the foil/caddy from the EDGE FX.
2 Lift the top of the EDGE FX printer until it is fully extended and comes to rest in the upright position. Lid is all the way up.

3 Place a pea-sized dab of Lubriplate DE-ES onto the tip of your finger.
Note: It is important not to use an excessive amount as extra lubricant can attract dust or drop onto other areas of the printer. Just a little will do.
4 Place a pea-sized dab of lubricant onto the mid-point of the visible portion of the lead screw and work into threads.The lead screw is visible behind the print head. Avoid contact with other parts or surfaces.
5 Operate the printer as usual. When the print head is lowered and raised, the movement of the lead screw will bring the lubricant into contact with the Z-axis nut. Several print jobs may need to be completed before the lubricant is adequately spread between the parts.
6 This procedure may be repeated as needed, but take care not to over-lubricate the lead screw as excessive lubricant may attract dust or find it’s way to other parts of the printer.
Page of

Last edited:

FunkotronXL

Problem C:
Had this happen a few years back and it was a failing control board. Something related to the memory not properly holding the return to start/home point when using more than 1 foil on a print.

Problems A and B may or may not be related to the issue for problem C if the board is actually failing.

artofacks1

Did you change out your motherboard yourself?

Sounds like a sensor - are you using gerber foils or aftermarket? Have you ever lubed the worm gear ?
Head failure would leave pixel blank strips or blank sections . Gerber has lubriplate grease ( or Amazon) and instructions are on the gerber website- I’ve had issues with conversion kits from edge to fx and aftermarket foils due to being too tight or loose but slight adjustment of end caps solved the problem .
TITLE:
Category:
Gerber FastFact #: Supplied by:
Last Modified: Summary:
Page 1 of 2 Gerber EDGE FX Z-Axis Lead screw and Nut Lubrication
EDGE Series
Gerber Service
August 7, 2013
This procedure is intended to help maintain the smooth operation of the Z-axis lead screw and nut, should any vibration or squeaking become evident.
Only Lubriplate DS-ES should be used for lubricating the Z-axis lead screw and nut. Other lubricants are not recommended as they may cause premature wear of the lubricated parts, contaminate unintended surfaces or the print head, and void your Gerber EDGE FX warranty.
GSP sells Lubriplate DS-ES:
• GSP part number P83517A
• LUBRIPLATE DS-ES 1-3⁄4 OZ TUBE –
You can also locate a Lubriplate distributor near you:
• www. Lubriplate.com/locator/index.asp
• They can also be contacted by phone at 800-733-4755 or 973-589-9150. • The part number for Lubriplate DS-ES, is L0137-086
During this procedure lubricate only the lead screw. Avoid contact with other parts or surfaces.
To lubricate the lead screw
1 Remove the foil/caddy from the EDGE FX.
2 Lift the top of the EDGE FX printer until it is fully extended and comes to rest in the upright position. Lid is all the way up.

3 Place a pea-sized dab of Lubriplate DE-ES onto the tip of your finger.
Note: It is important not to use an excessive amount as extra lubricant can attract dust or drop onto other areas of the printer. Just a little will do.
4 Place a pea-sized dab of lubricant onto the mid-point of the visible portion of the lead screw and work into threads.The lead screw is visible behind the print head. Avoid contact with other parts or surfaces.
5 Operate the printer as usual. When the print head is lowered and raised, the movement of the lead screw will bring the lubricant into contact with the Z-axis nut. Several print jobs may need to be completed before the lubricant is adequately spread between the parts.
6 This procedure may be repeated as needed, but take care not to over-lubricate the lead screw as excessive lubricant may attract dust or find it’s way to other parts of the printer.
Page of
Problem C:
Had this happen a few years back and it was a failing control board. Something related to the memory not properly holding the return to start/home point when using more than 1 foil on a print.

Problems A and B may or may not be related to the issue for problem C if the board is actually failing.

artofacks1

It was the motherboard :-(

Plotter Doctor took care of it for me.

Problem C: