• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge FX unable to remove foil caddy

xkellyx

We've been running an original Edge for a while now, with limited issues. We recently picked up an FX and it came with a foil caddy installed. It prints fine.

Since I have ZERO experience with this particular machine I am not sure if there is a trick to removing the caddy or if the machine is broken. It looks to me like it is not raising the caddy high enough to be ejected. I can manually (gently) push on the caddy to get it to raise, but I am wary of forcing it. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, is it broken, and if it is, what parts/cost were involved.

Thanks!

FunkotronXL

Has it made any loud humming/buzzing noises when you first turn the machine on or when it is moving the caddy up and down to print? Might be having a Z-axis issue

Signs46140

We've been running an original Edge for a while now, with limited issues. We recently picked up an FX and it came with a foil caddy installed. It prints fine.

Since I have ZERO experience with this particular machine I am not sure if there is a trick to removing the caddy or if the machine is broken. It looks to me like it is not raising the caddy high enough to be ejected. I can manually (gently) push on the caddy to get it to raise, but I am wary of forcing it. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, is it broken, and if it is, what parts/cost were involved.

Thanks!
My machine squeaked a lot when the cartridge was loading. There was once it kind of got caught. It's been a couple of years since I had my machine. I can walk you thru finding out the problem if you want to skyp or facetime me. I'm looking for someone who has a machine that can print some decals for me. I have some left over foils that I would like to get rid of also. My email is signs46140@gmail.com

Clifford

Has it made any loud humming/buzzing noises when you first turn the machine on or when it is moving the caddy up and down to print? Might be having a Z-axis issue

I have been having a similar issue with my FX. Loud buzz/hum and won't raise up all the way. If I shut it off and restart, it will run fine for a while, then do the same thing especially after running a long job. -clifford

FunkotronXL

I have been having a similar issue with my FX. Loud buzz/hum and won't raise up all the way. If I shut it off and restart, it will run fine for a while, then do the same thing especially after running a long job. -clifford

You'll need to lift the cover and turn the large black Z-Screw by hand a few turns with the power turned off, then try powering the unit back on with the cover closed. If you have a cartridge in there you'll need to carefully cut the foil for access.

The lubricant used for the Z-screw needs to be cleaned/replaced depending on how often you use the machine. I replace it at least once a month.

If it still makes that loud humming noise something may be broken; the Z-motor will burn out if you allow it to make that loud noise for too long without killing the power.