• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

gerber edge II shifting color

theskipman_98

I'm trying, trying being the operative word here, to get these decals out the door, and the edge is shifting the cobalt blue to the left, running it into the border and of couse leaving a white unfilled area @ the bottom of the T where it overlaps. I have times it will shift other colors so they do not line up, but have been able to correct with choke fill. These decal I guess show it more because they are 1.5"x1.5".

Also the finish is far from clean. All this is is simple circles and text.
I have made sure there is no vinyl build up on the sprockets.

Created using Omega Composer 2.6, gerber edge II, and gerber foils, no apex this time.

Attachments

• TIC.jpg
    TIC.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 190

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
X-axis color to color registration issues are caused by a design flaw in the Gerber Edge feed system. It is more apparent on smaller objects than on larger ones.

The flaw has to do with how much foil is on each of the cartridges. All things being equal, if you have a red and a blue cartridge of foil that are exactly equal in length, there is no error. On a 2 color job the easiest fix is to select the blue in the file and move it an offsetting amount to the right, then resent the job.

I will tell you that after 9 1/2 years of running my Edge, I have developed the practice of simply running these jobs, where colors touch other colors, as four color process at an LPI setting of 70.7 using Classical Dot halftone. This eliminates the need to set chokes and spreads at all and the results are very nice.

Other things you can do are to turn off the Conserve Foil check box if it is on and slow down to Edge 1 speeds.

The print quality in your photo cannot be explained without examining the file. It appears to be loaded with an excess of nodes and some of them with their curves collapsed. If you would like me to look at it, save it back to version 2 plt and email it to me.

theskipman_98

I will tell you that after 9 1/2 years of running my Edge, I have developed the practice of simply running these jobs, where colors touch other colors, as four color process at an LPI setting of 70.7 using Classical Dot halftone.

The print quality in your photo cannot be explained without examining the file. It appears to be loaded with an excess of nodes and some of them with their curves collapsed. If you would like me to look at it, save it back to version 2 plt and email it to me.

Fred, Thanks! :U Rock:

I ran the 4 color process like you said and it turned out great, and the edges were sharper too.

The first picture is the original as it came out as a 3 color spot @ 1.5" with our Edge's normal settings, the second is the 4 color process, no choke, spot ran as process and 70.7 lpi classic dot. As you see, edges are crisper, and the color lined up perfect.

The last one is 3 color spot just like the 1st pic, but it is @ 8". The other thing I did was find another foil of cobalt blue that had roughly the same amount left on it as the rest of the foils.

Now is this something that I'm going to have be aware of in the future when running spot only jobs ?

Again Fred thank you. This is why I love :signs101: .

BTW my boss basically told me there was nothing wrong with the Edge because they had never had to change the settings on it since she owned the company, and that my design was wrong.

Was going to send file to you if this didn't work... But I really appreciate the offer!

Attachments

• TIC before.jpg
    TIC before.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 115
  • TIC after.jpg
    TIC after.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 8 incher.jpg
    8 incher.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 152

iSign

BTW my boss basically told me there was nothing wrong with the Edge because they had never had to change the settings on it since she owned the company, and that my design was wrong.

sounds like a boss that doesn't deserve to learn what you just learned :Big Laugh