• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gerber Edge

Tim lazurka

Owner/operator sign and striping business
HI guys and gals i"m new to this forum. Thanks for having me! I acquired an old Gerber Edge Classic i believe black knob flips to the right side when your looking at keyboard. It didn't work when i got it and had to put in a new power supply found a used one. It has omega 4.0. I"m running windows 10. First issue is the skewing motor keeps turning will not stop unless i unplug it. Thought board perhaps? As well i cant get it to run with Omega, 4.0 error says parallel port missing? any thoughts or help? Tim

printhog

Older machines like that come from the old PC days.. they may require you run a hard card parallel port. If you're trying to get it on a USB to parallel it's likely be fussy. Windows 10 is also probably going to give you issues. I'd find a Windows XP machine for it. But there may be a solution here:

Start with the drivers from Gerber..

www.gspinc.com/service/software-downloads

UsbInterfaceCables.zip file.

There's also a diagnostic tool there for edge and edge 2. Not sure if that will help.

Before running those make sure you've run the service packs for that version of Omega.

If you still have issues buy a simple parallel card for your machine and it should see the port. You may need to define the port number.. some old software will not use ports above LPT4..

As for the motor it may be resolved with proper communication to the PC, or may not.

Operation manuals for that machine are located under the service page for legacy products.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Tim lazurka

Owner/operator sign and striping business
Thanks Printhog for that.i had an old xp computer that i got running today. installed Composer on it . The Edge does work and prints but the motor won't stop skewing, I was hoping there was a glitch in the system that would work itself out but no dice. Probably the board....?

Jburns

I have some notes on what the cause for the foil motor to run- will let you know when I get back in town to my computer friday

Jburns

Here are some things to check - hopefully this will help you:

Situation Foil motor runs continuously on power up

Situation Foil motor runs continuously on power up

Possible cause
Temporary, unknown fault
Remedy Turn off the EDGE, then hold down the Reset key and turn on the
EDGE to reset the EDGE to default configurations.

Possible cause
Loose cable connections
Remedy Check the connections between the motor and the 2 axis control
board. Reseat connector P881 on the 2 axis control board.

Possible cause
CPU board jumper J2 missing or incorrectly set
Remedy Verify that the jumper is installed between pins J2-1 and J2-2.

Possible cause
2 axis control board or CPU board failure
Remedy Troubleshoot the 2 axis control board and the CPU board