• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Egde New user

Hi all,

I just got a very good deal on a Gerber Edge 2 with the Envision 375. I am completly new to this world and reading a lot about this machine and now, finally figuring out how to making it work.

Actually, they were no SW or drivers delivered with the machine so, I chose to use Flexi that can be paid by month and is not to expensive to start. However the problem comes with the cable. I got the Gerber Parallel to USB cable but it needs the driver that comes with the Omega SW. I installed Windows 7,8 and 10 in differents virtuals machines to see If I manage to it to work but with no luck. I manage to see the printer and send the work to it, but it nevers prints anything. I assume is because of the drivers.

Does anyone know how can I get the drivers without having to pay for an Omega licence?

thanks!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are many good reasons to look into getting a copy of Omega ... even a few versions old will serve you better and also provide a way that most other Edge users can offer help when needed. Look for a copy of Omega 3 or later.

As to the USB to parallel adapter, have you considered just getting a comm card so you have an LPT port on your computer. Costs around $30 and will work just fine.

Thanks guys for the help.

I will consider omega then, the guy that sold the system to me I think he only had GA and wanted 500 for it. Not sure that that was worthy. Where I can look for an used version of OMEGA? For the moment I keep everything for me so, not planning into go for bussiness, so the lesser I spent, the better.

Concernign the HW, I am using a laptop for the moemnt so, the card is not an option....for the moment.

Thanks Netsol for that, I will try to find similar solution. Here in Switzeland there is no Amazon.

What about the white spots in the attached picture? just dust? or should I be worried about something else?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 276

Bert Wondervan

Hi all,

I just got a very good deal on a Gerber Edge 2 with the Envision 375. I am completly new to this world and reading a lot about this machine and now, finally figuring out how to making it work.

Actually, they were no SW or drivers delivered with the machine so, I chose to use Flexi that can be paid by month and is not to expensive to start. However the problem comes with the cable. I got the Gerber Parallel to USB cable but it needs the driver that comes with the Omega SW. I installed Windows 7,8 and 10 in differents virtuals machines to see If I manage to it to work but with no luck. I manage to see the printer and send the work to it, but it nevers prints anything. I assume is because of the drivers.

Does anyone know how can I get the drivers without having to pay for an Omega licence?

thanks!

To use your Gerber Edge 2, you need the software that supports the driver of your machine. The omega software is too expensive for such an old machine. I have another software with the supported driver from Gerber Edge 2 and compatible with Windows 10, 8, and 7. This software is not free but much cheaper than OMEGA.
Let me know if you are interested., Pm me.

To use your Gerber Edge 2, you need the software that supports the driver of your machine. The omega software is too expensive for such an old machine. I have another software with the supported driver from Gerber Edge 2 and compatible with Windows 10, 8, and 7. This software is not free but much cheaper than OMEGA.
Let me know if you are interested., Pm me.

Thanks Bert, as said I am using a Flexi version which you can pay per month, around 45 per month which is fine for me. Problem is that the parallel cable driver only come with OMEGA and its impossible to find in internet. Basically I would need that driver in order to at least try the SW and the machine :)

Bert Wondervan

Thanks Bert, as said I am using a Flexi version which you can pay per month, around 45 per month which is fine for me. Problem is that the parallel cable driver only come with OMEGA and its impossible to find in internet. Basically I would need that driver in order to at least try the SW and the machine :)

First, you pay too much for the software, 540 euros a year annually. With less than this you can buy software that I have (install DVD + USB dongle) one-off costs and no additional costs.
The necessary driver all is in software and you do not have to search for the driver
Secondly, you need a serial to USB cable, the necessary software is included. You can easily find this on the internet. It costs between 12-20 euros.

Ok I will think about that, now I am honestly stressed by the fact I cannot even print. I prefer to sort out the connectivity issue before going forward and purchase the SW...Besides, I need to safe a bit of money now after the purchase ;)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The white spots are what is called pinholes. They are generally the fault of dirty or old vinyl or foil as well as some third party aftermarket brands. They can also be seen frequently in the first print run of the day for the first few inches of printing. This is caused by uneven heating of the printhead and is corrected by running a short waste print.

You should also insure that your Edge printhead is cleaned regularly with a wipe saturated with at least 90% isopropyl alcohol. Less than 90% can lead to problems with printhead corrosion. Most sign supply distributors that sell foils will also have ready to use wipes that are either for sale or included free with foils.

The white spots are what is called pinholes. They are generally the fault of dirty or old vinyl or foil as well as some third party aftermarket brands. They can also be seen frequently in the first print run of the day for the first few inches of printing. This is caused by uneven heating of the printhead and is corrected by running a short waste print.

You should also insure that your Edge printhead is cleaned regularly with a wipe saturated with at least 90% isopropyl alcohol. Less than 90% can lead to problems with printhead corrosion. Most sign supply distributors that sell foils will also have ready to use wipes that are either for sale or included free with foils.

Excellent Fred, thanks for that answer. I realised that after some more tests, white spots were dimishing...still there though. But printed colors are really awesome.

I have ordered a parallel-USB cable. I will try with that one...really a pity that I cannot download the drivers for the Gerber one.

Well, some progress...but not much. I managed to install the gerber cable but the driver is not adding any LPT port in the device manager, thus impossible to print using the Flexi RIP spooler....

I tried, again, with the generic Windows driver and after hundreds of attempts, I managed to print one time...and only one time...frustrating as, I did not change anything and I am not able to print again. Any ideas? The printer see the job, ask to charge the vinyl, insert the foil and then nothing...it stays stuck! also, for more information, I am forced to unplug the cable each time so that the printer sees the port...very strange and frustrating...

The new cable I bought is not helping as is a USB to parallel that does not create any virtual LPT port so I cannot attach the Gerber to the LPT port...another frustrating issue! I hoped it was going to work that way...Cable is a aten uc1284b...

Ultimately I am considering buying the Parallel network print server as advised by netsol

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I have to apologize. I could have sworn it was in the bag with the cable but the CD is gone. I'll have to look around for it, it's here somewhere.

Joe House

When it's connected via the Gerber USB to Parallel adapter in Omega, you select the USB connection, not the LPT connection. Did you try that?

No problem! I finally found the drivers for the gerber cable. Actually I am trying the Gerber on the Flexi, that is the problem as no USB ports are availblae in windows with the Gerber Driver...Thanks guys, I think the easiest way is to connect to a real Parallel port....I am looking for an old computer..