• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Envision 375 Z Axis Encoder Fail

Billct2

Our trusty workhorse Envision 375 plotter just died.
I'm getting a "Z axis encoder fail" message.
Tried a search for solutions. One post said to inspect the encoder, but I don't even know where or which it is. Is it an encoder strip like on a wide foremat printer? I couldn't find a parts diagram.
Thanks for any assistance

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I had mine go about a year ago on my 1998 Envision 375. Ended up replacing the entire tool head module. The kit was around $1,100 and includes a calibration weight. Old module has to be returned to GSP as I recall. Installation and calibration took about 15 - 20 minutes. No problems since.

Jase

I've had the x axis encoder pop up followed by Z axis now and again. I just turn the machine off, remove the power cord leave for a couple of hours and it seems to right itself??

Just waiting for a major failure.

Billct2

Well it turns out some intermitent problems I had been having ( skips, light cuts) were probably a warning sign. Kip at Advantage was quite helpful and gave me some things to try to see if it was repairable, but they didn't work and in the process I cracked a cable :banghead:
So I'm now awaiting my new toolhead.