Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerber + flexi= smooth gradient?

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by Coban, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Coban

Coban New Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Hemet
    I can not seem to get a smooth gradient with my Gerber Edge. I'm using Flexi and the gradients have very noticeable steps(looks terrible). I'm using single spot color gradients and they just suck. Any tips or tricks?

Tags:
  2. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

does this on my mutoh also. I find that adding a blur to the gradient makes big difference

3. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    I had this problem as well on a Mutoh. I really think it a Flexi issue though. If you are using athe eyedropper tool to grab the color from a graidient, that could be the problem. I've found it helps to save the gradient as a color swatch then apply the colors from your color palette.

Sometimes I think what is happening is the number of steps that make up the gradient are determined by the size of the object you are applying the color to. Then if the the eydropper is used to pick the color for a larger object the number of steps is too few for that size, thus they show up more.

I don't know this for sure but it seems to make sense.

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    lower your lpi on the edge for smoother gradients

5. Coban

Coban New Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Hemet
    Sorry I'm a newb, where do I do that?

6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Production Manager > Job Properties > Color Management Tab > Dither (Choose One) > Edit

The lower the frequency, the lower the LPI (Lines Per Inch). The lower the LPI, the larger are the halftone dots but the less the tendency to show banding. The higher the LPI, the smaller the halftone dots but the greater the tendency to show banding. Reduce the LPI for each color and test print. Stop when you're happy with the results.

7. Coban

Coban New Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Hemet
    Thank you Fred, I'll give it try tomorrow.