• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber: GCM720 Foil availability?? UK

Titch Sanders

So folks, help needed here quite urgently in reality.
I've been told today by our 'friends' in Bristol UK, that Gerber haven't produced the GCM720 CHROME for a few years now, needless to say that due to their horrific prices I have been purchasing from 'up North' of course...
This devastating news is causing some serious distress, after all, that's what sold the Edge systems for many many years. I have quite a few regular customers that necessitate Chrome, Gold Chrome too and it's going to cause great problems..
Print 1 have also advised same today... why doesn't anyone speak out these days..or even send me an email with such terrible news?
I've used the Edge system for over 20 years, I have no other printing system and don't need it in my work, but the facility of not having a Chromed foil..well, just absolutely decimates me.
Has anyone got any ideas or advice on where else I can look for this, ideally within the UK please?
Oh, Spandex have the 'new' GCM721, not in the UK but it's at over £200 a roll..that's a no go of course, plus, why & why so different and costly?
This is a plea for help folks..
Regards,
Titch Sanders

Adam.Foster

Gerber released the "new" over printable Silver medal II (GCM721) in June of 2012 (Almost 9 years ago) and discontinued the original silver medal I(GCM720) shortly after. Silver medal II has greatly improved performance over the original and allows for printing transparent colors on top of the Silver medal II. This allows you to create 11 additional Metallic colors. This could not be done with the original silver. I checked my price lists and over the past 10 years, the selling price here in the USA for silver medal has gone up by 15%. One thing to be aware of is the size format changed for silver medal. When released it was sold in 15M lengths and is now sold in 25M length. The per foil cartridge cost is higher but the cost per meter is less. Still expensive compared to regular non-metalic colors and this is due to the raw material costs to make the metallic silver look the way it does. If you would like to be informed of changes from Gerber I would recommend registering your software and getting on the mailing list. You can sign up here https://www.gerbertechnology.com/sign-graphics/forms/software-registration/

Titch Sanders

Hello Adam,
thank you on this.
Yes, I was only told this week by our 'beloved' Spandex in the UK, our only supplier of original Gerber products, that they had it discontinued in 2017, but never informed me at all. Likewise with Print 1, I must have had foils from them last year, if not at the latest during 2020, but again no fore warning of it becoming unavailable...that's the issue, then I could have been prepared.
Overprinting isn't a requirement for me as I use the 'Chrome' effect, as also the Gold Chrome finish, as a 'flat' finish to recreate as original work.
Again, until this week I was unaware of the GCM721, and apparently there's none in the UK at present...however, don't they know just how to charge, especially as it's almost a 'must have' for my work.
I'm going down the route of overlaying onto Chrome material, not the way I want to do my work as it isn't as original, but at prices like these from Spandex, (£200 + VAT etc) I'm being forced to...
Why can't someone else supply same or similar?

Think on...
Regards,
Titch Sanders

Titch Sanders

Does anyone know if there is an alternative supplier that can make this Chrome foil available and indeed ship to the UK please?
Regards,
Titch Sanders

Titch Sanders

Hi there,
thanks for the responce, It appears our only UK importer, Spandex Ltd, have discontinued it, or supply of it.....well GCM 720 anyway..
Availability of the 721 is NIL in stock...not surprisingly at the price they want for it!
Got friends 'in the trade' looking at getting some from ZeroNine too thanks!
I know they make quality products...so I'm looking forward to some, yes..
Regards all,
Titch Sanders

Titch Sanders

Hi Folks,
I'm still looking for some supplier of Silver Medal foils for the Gerber Edge.. anyone know of availability ideally in the UK.. but not at Spandex prices!
Thanks,
Titch

rob31_8

I have a few meters of chrome ribbon in Spain.

Attachments

• capture-3.jpg
    capture-3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 42