• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Omega Questions???

Strouty

I have a used copy of omega 1.56 that I bought with a gerber edge. All the serial numbers are valid, I have the USB key. I also have a parallel port key, that the previous owner told me I needed to use, my local gerber distributor told me I do not need it, just the gerber USB key. I can't get the software working. Can anyone tell me what this key would be for and why I would need it? I am trying to upgrade to 5.0 but I need to get the installation numbers from the software. I am trying to avoid making a computer that has parallel ports and runs windows xp for no reason. I can't find anyone that has the correct computer setup, none have parallel ports and all have been non expansion type motherboards. I run all macs, so that is no help either. I was hoping to just invest in a new windows 7 computer and use omega 5.0 on that. Here are the photos of my keys and discs. The parallel port key has a five digit serial number, the USB key is absolutely gerber and is correct, the software serial number is also valid and has not been updated.

Attachments

• DSC01281.JPG
    DSC01281.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC01282.JPG
    DSC01282.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC01283.JPG
    DSC01283.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC01284.JPG
    DSC01284.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC01286.JPG
    DSC01286.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 206

Techman

you can get motherboards with a parallel port on them. If fact I just built two I7 PC machines with a serial and parallel port on each.

What do u mean when you say the software will not work.??

round man

when you install the gerber software there is a sentinal -program that must be run 1st to update the usb dongle so it to work if I remember correctly,....
then omega can be installed and it should recognize the usb dongle,...you may have to call gerber to get the installation numbers that correspond to the old parallel port dongle serial number in order to do this if you don't have it,....

signage

If you do not have the installation numbers for the Parallel Gerber will not help no longer supported. Did you check with Gerber before you purchased about having the License transfered?

Strouty

I checked with gerber and they said no problem on transferring and upgrading. I even asked if it was OK to upgrade even after it had been upgraded from graphics advantage. The parallel port key appears to be non gerber, the serial number does not have six digits. The USB dongle is gerber and has a good serial number confirmed by gerber. As for the installation, I start with nothing plugged in, then install rainbow sentinel, after a reboot I plug in the USB dongle and parallel port key. Windows XP will not recognize any driver for the USB key on the computer that has the parallel port. I have pointed it to the drivers, which appear to be windows 98 drivers. These drivers worked fine on one of the computers that had no parallel ports! So when I try and install the actual omega 1.56, it says it can't find the security key. When I purchased this software, with a used edge, the sign shop that I bought it from had to pull out one of his old computers and it took him a bunch of tries to get it to work, but it did install and did work. The thing that sucks is that string of numbers was available then, I just did not know that I needed it for the upgrade. The local distributor says that newer version of the software don't even need to be installed to get to this number, they told me the installation menu has an option for looking it up, but I can't find anything like that. As for password and serial numbers, I have them all and gerber confirmed they are valid for use and update. I am going to try and find the sign guys info, I am a hobbyist, so I have not been as diligent about chasing things down as I should have been. I bought the package months ago and as always life got in the way of progress. Has anyone ever seen a parallel key like that? I just hope I didn't buy a steaming pile.

Tony Teveris

I cannot remember what was on the CD way back then but I think on the CD there is a program called rblock.exe. This is a DOS application that can read the key without any installation of the Omega software. So if you find it, copy it to the computer go to the DOS prompt and the go to the folder where the rblock.exe was copied. Then at the command prompt type

rblock >key.txt

this will put the info Gerber wants in the file called key.txt which you can look at with notepad

Tony Teveris

Now that I look at the pics those are NOT Gerber devices ( USB key or the Parallel key)

Our security has always been with Rainbow which is now SafeNet,

On the CD's can you find any small sticker with a 7 or 9 digit number or something that says password because you claim a 1.56 but you show a GA 4/6 upgrade.

Strouty

I am sending Tony an email with photos, hoping it will help. Maybe he can help me shed some light on my issue.

Update:

Sent Tony the email with pictures showing all serial numbers and passwords with more details. Waiting for response.

Last edited: