• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Solara Ion X Flat Bed question.

TwoNine

Hey everyone - what do you guys think of this kind for printer (Gerber Solara Ion X Flat Bed UV)? Is it good to use day-to-day? The reason I ask, is that I have been looking in to one and was curious to see if there was any major red flags with this set-up. The one I've been looking in to is a 2009, has vacuum hold down and reel-to-reel capabilities and has less than 500 hours on it.

So - good printer? What would you pay for it? Drawbacks, Red Flags or anything to check REALLY good for? Any input is appreciated as always! Thanks everyone...

Signworks_WI

We have had one in our shop for 2 years now. Love the machine. Drawback, Gerber isn't making them anymore. From what I heard they will be standing behind them for another 5 years, they do not manufacture the ink or parts so those will still be available. Warranty equals EXPENSIVE, knock on wood we have not had many breakdowns or setbacks with this machine. Great on PVC, Coroplast 4mm and 10mm, banners are wonderful, and large full color decals. We don't do car wraps with it, the ink isn't formulated for that kind of bending. We don't have a lot of hours on our machine either but from what I have learned the (8) head replacements will be the most expensive replacement......warranty doesn't cover them but does give you a $1,000 discount per head.

Hope that helps some!
Lisa

TwoNine

Hey Signworks - Thanks for the response. I have done a search on here for information, however, most of the information is dated and thus the re-post. I know that Gerber won't be making anything for these printers anymore in about 3-4 years, which is actually longer than we planned on keeping this machine around. (3 years tops)

The price for the printer as it sits is 10k with only 400 hours on it. - BUT...it needs 3 heads. So add 6k for those at the very least. And realistically probably about 9k. So...There is 19k. (Same price as a brand new Roland VS-540)

I'm exactly 50/50 on the fence on this one....Moving it is going to take some doing too. GSP is saying 5k to move it. I say &*(# that. So the warranty on it would be voided immediately upon purchasing it....Ugh. Scary.

So I don't know. Anyone ever moved on of these in tact? Anyone done the heads on these? I won't even consider breaking the gantry off it (especially if there is not a warranty). I want the inks to stay in the lines, etc, etc, etc....

We have the roll-to-roll thing covered with another machine - however - the flatbed was going to be the big "selling point". Unattended 4' x 8' production, no vinyl, no transfer tape, no labor = money (minus cleaning, minus ink, minus substrate). Just how much can I make though before the thing breaks to the point of wheeling it in front of the shop with a "FREE" sign on it.???...??? I dunno.

It's a gamble for sure. 50/50? Probably not, but close. Input? Anyone?

Thanks again, Signcraft. I truly appreciate the time you spent to write back. Hope everyone is having a great day.

Thanks,
-Chad

Last edited: