• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting Back In

Bigg_billy

Hello everyone,

I've been out of the signmaking racket for quite a while...so long in fact my signmaking program was Anagraph with an 15" plotter I think. I'd like to get back into signs again and would like some advice on a simple program and inexpensive plotter. I just want to have a good amount of fonts, and then just make up simple signs with letters and simple graphics. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

netsol

i'm doing the same thing. still at the acquiring equipment stage. ebay and craigslist makes it much easier than it used lto be. i hope to be open by feb 1'2017.

what size plotter do you need? still 15"? i'd go at least 24" if i were you

Pippin Decals

Hi everyone.I was in your shoes 2 yrs ago.lol... I had no idea what vinyl really was nor how to apply,weed,cut, svg or ai was...I was into photography until my girlfriend got a cricut cutter for card making etc..Dont even look it up for doing vinyl like everyone uses it for on here lol.. trust me..Anyways i did some research and came across uscutter and everything they had..Like i said i had no clue what i was getting into etc..So i called uscutter and told them what i wanted to do and did not want the top cutter nor the low end cutter ..I wanted one in the middle that would last me for years and was quiet and i wanted to stay around a 24" maximum width for vinyl.. I didnt want to spend a load of money unless i knew i was going to make some money and be out broke with a cutter that was going to be put away ...The tech Suggested a TITAN 2 28( 24" max width) cutter... And at that time it came with Scalps( Sure Cuts A Lot 3 pro) I have since upgraded to SCALPS4PRO and love the software..Let me tell you it is the best investment i ever made and the 24" is the perfect size.I learned how to work on larger designs by making pieces ....The first 2 months i taught myself and with a little help from another forum uscutter forum, work with nodes,ai,svg,etc and in 2 months i had my machine paid off and making money easy..

I lately bought Vm software and learned it and compared with others , SCALPS is hands down the easiest,simplest, user friendly software out there on the market in my own opinion..I also use Ai cs6/cc and i have the perfect combo to do anything i want....Scalps is located at craftedge.com and works with many many brands of cutters and their tech support by email is great and fast..they are always making upgrades and improvements to their software as well to make it better for the user.. When i bought my cutter with scalps3pro 2 yrs ago, craftedge gave me a free upgrade to scalps4pro ...FREE yep.... many people say go with graphtec etc but its what you can afford at the time is what i did...you can always upgrade to a top machine if you want, but for me , i wont change from a titan 2..I went the TITAN 2 28" because its the only cutter at that size that will let you use scrap size pieces( Down to 3" wide) ,The others are at a min of 15" on anything larger than a 28" cutter...... They do have scalps as a trial as well.try it ,you wont be disappointed.I have taught several people who listened to my advice and they are glad ,,Even i person bought vm and ended up switching to scalps and was glad he did..Im willing to help anyone or answer questions if i can..I do not work for any of these companies either lol..

So choose wisely and you can go wrong,Oh the titan 2 is way quiet and fast and accurate and has never failed me at anything ive done ......Here is my website of some of my stuff ive done,created and i installed only on certain things supplied by customers if i cant do due to copyright stuff... pippindecals.com..

hcardwell93

I bought an older Summa 30" machine because I got a good deal on it. Its been a great machine Thats paid for itself. I find myself using 24" more than 30" vinyl a after getting it.

At my last sign job I was assigned to a 30" Gerber and used Gerber Omega software and I really liked how quickly I could design simple signs.

Now I use Adobe because the shop I sub my printing to uses Adobe. Its more of a learning curve to do simple things, but if you're willing to learn it can do a ton of things.

I would invest in a plotter that is a workhorse that has great customer service and parts availability. I think there are plenty of cheap plotters that can cost you more than a good second hand machine.

Most of my headaches came from plotter/computer/software compatibility issues. Do research first before buying anything!

Bigg_billy

What do you think of this package? USCutter Vinyl Cutter Best Value Sign Decal Making Kit w/Design Cut Softwr -SALE | eBay

Hi everyone.I was in your shoes 2 yrs ago.lol... I had no idea what vinyl really was nor how to apply,weed,cut, svg or ai was...I was into photography until my girlfriend got a cricut cutter for card making etc..Dont even look it up for doing vinyl like everyone uses it for on here lol.. trust me..Anyways i did some research and came across uscutter and everything they had..Like i said i had no clue what i was getting into etc..So i called uscutter and told them what i wanted to do and did not want the top cutter nor the low end cutter ..I wanted one in the middle that would last me for years and was quiet and i wanted to stay around a 24" maximum width for vinyl.. I didnt want to spend a load of money unless i knew i was going to make some money and be out broke with a cutter that was going to be put away ...The tech Suggested a TITAN 2 28( 24" max width) cutter... And at that time it came with Scalps( Sure Cuts A Lot 3 pro) I have since upgraded to SCALPS4PRO and love the software..Let me tell you it is the best investment i ever made and the 24" is the perfect size.I learned how to work on larger designs by making pieces ....The first 2 months i taught myself and with a little help from another forum uscutter forum, work with nodes,ai,svg,etc and in 2 months i had my machine paid off and making money easy..

I lately bought Vm software and learned it and compared with others , SCALPS is hands down the easiest,simplest, user friendly software out there on the market in my own opinion..I also use Ai cs6/cc and i have the perfect combo to do anything i want....Scalps is located at craftedge.com and works with many many brands of cutters and their tech support by email is great and fast..they are always making upgrades and improvements to their software as well to make it better for the user.. When i bought my cutter with scalps3pro 2 yrs ago, craftedge gave me a free upgrade to scalps4pro ...FREE yep.... many people say go with graphtec etc but its what you can afford at the time is what i did...you can always upgrade to a top machine if you want, but for me , i wont change from a titan 2..I went the TITAN 2 28" because its the only cutter at that size that will let you use scrap size pieces( Down to 3" wide) ,The others are at a min of 15" on anything larger than a 28" cutter...... They do have scalps as a trial as well.try it ,you wont be disappointed.I have taught several people who listened to my advice and they are glad ,,Even i person bought vm and ended up switching to scalps and was glad he did..Im willing to help anyone or answer questions if i can..I do not work for any of these companies either lol..

So choose wisely and you can go wrong,Oh the titan 2 is way quiet and fast and accurate and has never failed me at anything ive done ......Here is my website of some of my stuff ive done,created and i installed only on certain things supplied by customers if i cant do due to copyright stuff... pippindecals.com..

Pippin Decals

MH is the bottom of the barrel cutter.It will be a gamble on how long it will last or work for you and if you make money or loose money as well...I dont suggest it..Static issues and clean cuts will be part of your problems also.... I know , i researched them all before i finally bought my titan 2.. I talked to many people as well and read everything i could find on them all.... And some of the kits they offer isnt always the best deal..

The greenstar vinyl in the kit is junk in my own opinion,Concentrate on getting a good cutter and then vinyl after,Because if you use crappy quality vinyl and sell it ,you could end up paying out of pocket to fix a problem that could of been avoided with better vinyl.......I use Oracal vinyl 651,751,951,631 etc and love it.Never an issue in the 2 yrs ive been using it.On walls,partial wraps,windows, signs etc...Never failed etc.

I actually give an extra warranty to my customers on it since i like it so much......here is the link to uscutter on what class the cutters fall under...And they are pretty dang accurate..USCutter - Vinyl Cutters, Digital Color Printers, 3D Printers, Heat Transfer, Flat Beds, Engravers, Craft, Vinyl Supplies, Tools other questions just ask..Im going to send you a PM also..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hcardwell93

I also use Oracal vinyl, it's great vinyl for the price. Also learn when you use cast vs. calendared vinyls. 651 is a great go to for indoor, flat surface or temporary signs. 751 costs twice as much, but is best for long term outdoor signs, or anything that's not flat. Just work it into the price. Avoid the temptation to use cheap vinyl because it's cheap. Then you get stuck fixing it when it fails, or you lose the customer because they decided to go to another shop to have them fix it.

Pippin Decals

Very true.. lol..Cheap vinyl and cheap cutters = money out of your pocket = no profit = close up shop lol..sell equipment on craigslist if your lucky and throw away crap vinyl lol..

I also use Oracal vinyl, it's great vinyl for the price. Also learn when you use cast vs. calendared vinyls. 651 is a great go to for indoor, flat surface or temporary signs. 751 costs twice as much, but is best for long term outdoor signs, or anything that's not flat. Just work it into the price. Avoid the temptation to use cheap vinyl because it's cheap. Then you get stuck fixing it when it fails, or you lose the customer because they decided to go to another shop to have them fix it.

Jackpine

Graphtec CE6000 or even a used CE series. Good cutter with contour cutting printed capabilities. I have a CE3000 and have changed cutting strip once. Contour cuts as good a any. I also use a Summa D series with contour cutting also. I have a FC7000 24 " for sale. Bought it as a demo and not used. Graphtec and Summa are good.