• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting box around blur in Illustrator.

Kyle Blue

Hello,
I'm trying to print a Illustrator file that has a blur in it. The problem is that when I print it out on a Mimaki, I am getting a "box around the blur that darkens the print in that area only. It looks fine on screen in illustrator, I do notice the box shows up in a preview of the print in the queue though. Any ideas as to how I can repair this?

Kyle Blue

I had tried Flatten Transparancy, but all I would get was a white box were the blur was. But being that you suggested it again I thought I would take another crack at it.

Low and behold if I select the group instead of just the blur and Flatten Transparancy, I get the blur with the white box. I am able to delete the white pieces but the whole graphic is now cut up into small individual sections. It'll probably work, but from a file cleanliness view, its a mess.

Thank you jhilldesigns! Your help is always appreciated.

MikeD

Do you have a spot color behind your effect? I have seen this too, and upon converting the spot color to cmyk, the print turned out fine.

Kyle Blue

That's what I thought too. But I don't believe so, I do have 2 sets of gradients behind it but they are all CMYK colors. Unless I'm missing somthing.

sfr table hockey

Try to open it up in Photoshop and let it do its thing (rasterising) and save it as a jpeg and print it. This worked for some small banners for me. I think as a PDF from photoshop also worked.

Kyle Blue

Yeah, I thought about bringing it into Photoshop also, but I thought there would be a easy way and I was bound and determined to find it.

Kyle Blue

Well, it looks fine printed. I personally hate having a vector file that looks the way it does but it will have to do. Again thank you for all of your help and suggestions.

MikePro

i get this problem occasionally, just flatten transparencies in illustrator and make sure to save your output to high resolution transparency settings.
otherwise, take it a step further and bring into photoshop to flatten.

brdesign

I run into that problem a lot when customers supply their own files for printing. They usually have all kinds of issues with transparancys, gradients etc. Now I just open almost all customer files into photshop and save as a tif before printing.

JoshLoring

Wow. Nobody asked what version of illustrator or what your saving the file as...

Kyle- I had this problem is cs2 back years ago. Cs4+ fixes it if you can send ver4eps, ver5eps files to your rip. Save as eps> version 4-5, format none, preset High res.

Bly

Nothing fixed the issue for us except opening the file in Photoshop and sending a tif to the rip.
It may be my imagination but I think Onyx 10 handles these types of files better than 7.