• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting Close to That "Special Time"

WildWestDesigns

As it gets closer to the big fall update on Win 10, I just wait with bated breath for the call from my dad talking about some issue that the latest update created.

Noticed this in my newsfeeds today, although it was released yesterday.

I'll say it again, the joys of being on a rolling release OS that is in a constant state of beta (one of 4 big things that I've always found concerning with Win in general).

Just thought I would mention that, take notice of CPU usage for anyone updating around now.

unclebun

If you're on a desktop, your Task manager should say Cortana Suspended and 0% CPU utilization. There is no reason to have Cortana running on a desktop.

WildWestDesigns

If you're on a desktop, your Task manager should say Cortana Suspended and 0% CPU utilization. There is no reason to have Cortana running on a desktop.

There are a lot of services that really don't need to be running on Win 10 (Cortana isn't the only type of "search" that is bloated on Win 10, although the other I'm thinking is incredibly useful, it still consumes quite a bit of resources). It used to be, I think 17.03 was the last one, that "you" could decouple alot of the bloatware and create a custom ISO to install. Like with many things that have been done to Win 10 as the updates go on, that isn't the case so much anymore. Try to remove some of the same services that you could in (if I'm remember correctly) 17.03 will really cause you problems now.

Removing (or at the very least turning off) was one big way of getting Vista more manageable in terms of resource use (I miss Vista (well I still have it in a VM, so the missing is muted to a degree), it had it's issues, but it was far better then XP (at least in my mind)). Those options, if they still exist in 10, are buried and it seems like they get buried even further with each update (eventually some are removed totally).

Bare in mind, may have to always check to make sure Cortana and other options haven't reverted back to default after each update (big no-no in my mind that it does this, but it is what it is).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, that's not what you're talking about, I just realized that. You're already there and doing updates ??

WildWestDesigns

Oh, that's not what you're talking about, I just realized that. You're already there and doing updates ??

I'm no longer on Windows, switched everything that I use to Linux. Actually enjoying computing again, something that I haven't done since the 9x days (yes I really liked those versions, still run in VMs).

Only reason why I have to deal with Win 10 at all is dad runs Win 10 and he really hates it. However, he doesn't want to change to a different OS. He tried with Mac about 10 yrs ago, 2 wks and he was ready to toss that expensive Mac.

bannertime

What when Win 7 goes EOL?

This is what I'm upset about. All my non-production machines are Windows 10, but my production machines are all Windows 7.

With how buggy Windows 10 has been and how buggy Flexi 12 and 19 have been, I'm really dreading the upgrade.

Windows 7 and early Flexi 12 was a pretty solid combination and I honestly can't remember any issues I had till right before the release of Flexi 19.

WildWestDesigns

Bannertime can you not keep Win 7 off the WAN? That's what I would do, unless you have programs, especially subscription programs, that still require WAN.

If something like Adobe CC, Adobe would eventually force an OS update as well due to their policy of users not using any CC version older the x-1.

bannertime

Bannertime can you not keep Win 7 off the WAN? That's what I would do, unless you have programs, especially subscription programs, that still require WAN.

If something like Adobe CC, Adobe would eventually force an OS update as well due to their policy of users not using any CC version older the x-1.

My main machine, the one I'm using now, is where I do 90% of my work. We're considering replacing my machine instead of just paying for the OS. Then using this machine as a dedicated RIP. All our other machines run Flexi Designer subscription, Illustrator, and Affinity. So Illy and Flexi need internet I believe.

A dedicated RIP computer still has to accept TCP/IP so I'm not sure if I could have it connected to my other machines but block internet traffic? I honestly haven't had to think about it until very recently.

WildWestDesigns

You can block WAN and still have LAN. So for the RIP, should be good.

The others....well it'll be interesting if nothing else

WildWestDesigns

Oh dear.

Nice to see that the Insider Program is doing it's job, especially when that is the first, last and only line of defense before updates go out in the wild.

Johnny Best

If I remember right Wild said his Dad was a lawyer, does he still work doing that and uses the computer for work or is retired and just uses it to surf the internet. I am not a Windows user so I can’t enjoy your special time with your Dad. How old is he?
I spend time with my sons fishing and they give me grief about not using circle hooks. Was out tonight with them tonight Snook fishing.

WildWestDesigns

If I remember right Wild said his Dad was a lawyer, does he still work doing that and uses the computer for work or is retired and just uses it to surf the internet.

Retired as far as law goes. Based on the info that's provided on this site, he has a few yrs on you.

He has his hobby stuff, multimedia (content creation actually, not just streaming) and does do other work as well. He isn't fond of the current setup, but too set in his ways to change. He didn't last but a couple of weeks trying out a Mac, before he tossed that rig and that was ten (give or take) yrs ago. I don't think that has mellowed with age.

I am not a Windows user so I can’t enjoy your special time with your Dad.

I haven't been a Windows user myself for quite a few yrs(not a Mac user either). Our thing was bowling, which he still does competitively as well.

Fishing was what I did with my grandfather. Snapper mostly (boy I do miss that).