• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

getting the right shape/size

southshoredecal

i have been asked to design some graphics for a truck. these are to match the body lines. what is the best way to get the right shapes?

Take lots of measurements and the best pictures i can to match them up to?

what about curves?

I have some vehicle outline vectors but they are not very detailed and do no seem to be all that accurate in terms of sizes.

what does everyone else do?

Mosh

Tell them to have them painted at a body shop. That would give them the best results. Otherwise pics with a sticky tape, no way this will ever be as exact as laying them out with tape and painting, but would cost less (maybee)

BobM

I use a combination of Pro Vehicle Outlines, digital pictures and measurements. Nothing I've seen is perfect so the use of these combinations works for me.

southshoredecal

fair enough, I did not think there was a surefire way to get it right everytime besides lots of measurements and using vehicle outlines as a starting point.

thank you for the responses.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
To do a curve, tape a piece of paper, Tyvek house wrap is better, over the area. Then trace the outline of the object onto the paper with a Sharpie.

Lay the tracing on a table. You have now flattened the curve into two-space. Set up the image, bending and distorting it as necessary, to fit into the tracing. Sometimes you might need to scribe horizontal and/or vertical lines on the tracing to determine the actual two-space size and shape of curves. I have even shot a digital photo of a tracing, imported the photo into whatever software I'm using and scale it 1:1.

Scaling is another subject but basically you draw a rectangle to surround the tracing or merely lay a framing square in the tracing. Shoot and import the picture, draw a rectangle exactly the size of the rectangle or framing square on the tracing, mask the tracing into the rectangle, make the masked rectangle the actual size of the rectangle or framing square on the tracing, and unmask the object. The photo is now scaled 1:1 about as well as it can be done.

Create the image. If you did it right, when you apply it to the three-dimensional object it will fit perfectly.

I do this with curved vehicle windows and even oddly shaped windows all the time. It works every time.

trimitbyrich

yes, vehicle outlines and digital pics works best for me as well. You'll be able to draw directly on the pics in your vector program. Measure twice cut once!

airborneassault

Can you get Tyvek from Home Depot in reasonable sized quantities? I just ask because I'm having an issue with a back window right now and that would come in super handy!
-Nathan