• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GF 231 and Briteline OL331 Laminate Shrinking?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We usually use Oracal 215 gloss but have had some issues with availability. I ordered Briteline OL331 which had similar specs and longevity and assume that it is the same material as General Forumlations 231?
We ran a batch of print/cut labels and the the next day it looked like they had shrank a lot more than our usual combo with 215. Does anyone else use this laminate and have any long term opinions on it?

buggyjr12

I'm not sure about OL331 but here's Briteline Duration X IM3203X with Briteline Shield OLUV. As you can see in the attached photo, the vinly shrinks way more than the laminate does. That's not a white border, that's the laminate overhanging the vinyl a few days after it was contour cut. I'm going back to IJ35C.

Attachments

• 20200724_175010.jpg
    20200724_175010.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 133

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We dont use duration x at all. Avery 2923 or 2921 & IJ35. The Briteline shield lam is fine.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We tend to use Briteline products only for our lower budget/temp stuff. The Briteline Shield OLUV hasn't shrank on us too bad, but we often find lam or vinyl failures when we go to retrieve cradle signs after a few months outside. I haven't tried any of their cast or "higher end" products; we just stick with Avery/3M for "better" jobs.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Grimco specs it as 7yr but the tech sheet says 5 and rated for vehicles. That's why I thought to give it a try, all other cal laminate was 2-4 year. The stuff we cut with a bleed already had the edges curling up on the backing sheet.
What's a good sub for Oracal 215? I would use 8508 but there was a bunch of negative reviews on here from a couple years ago.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Grimco specs it as 7yr but the tech sheet says 5 and rated for vehicles. That's why I thought to give it a try, all other cal laminate was 2-4 year. The stuff we cut with a bleed already had the edges curling up on the backing sheet.
What's a good sub for Oracal 215? I would use 8508 but there was a bunch of negative reviews on here from a couple years ago.

Oracal Oraguard 210 (matte) is what we have on the roller now and it's luxurious stuff, but expensive in comparison. We'd LIKE to carry Avery matte lam 'cause that kind of fits our clients usual budgets, but we're having a difficult time getting it - never seems to be in stock.