• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gilders tip....now what?

signmeup

I just got a gilders tip so I can apply loose gold leaf. I've only ever used patent leaf before. For my 18 bucks I got a piece of white shirt cardboard with some squirrel hair sticking out of one end. There are no instructions on or with the thing. I've read different accounts of how to use it. One camp says it's static electricity that makes the leaf stick to the tip and the other seems to think it's nose grease that does the trick. I'm in Nova Scotia so static electricity is pretty hard to come by what with the damp weather we mostly have. Nose grease I can do. Any dab hands at the ancient art care to toss me a few pointers before I wadd up my new supply of loose gold?

Baz

The common thing to do is to brush it up against your hair. That will create just enough static to make the leaf cling to the brush easily.

mrchips

It is the greese......not static electricty.

So if you have oily hair, that will work. The oil along side the nose will work too.

Some will put a line of Chap Stick on the back of their hand and swipe the tip over it.

You don't have to do it after every leaf.....one or two swipes will "charge" the tip for quite a while........"a little dab will do ya!"

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

signmeup

I'm gonna stop feeding the squirrels I shoot in the barn to the neighbor's cat. The fur from a handfull of those little devils (paired with the cardboard from my new Christmas underwear) should make enough saleable gilders tips to put my daughter through med school!

Oh and thanks for the tips guys! I'll report back once I get the next sign gilded.

Patrick46

I'll report back once I get the next sign gilded.

Hate to say this, but practice on something OTHER than on a customer's sign. Try using imitation leaf to at least get a feel for how it supposed to go...then move onto the real McCoy. It does take alittle practice to get the correct touch for loose leaf guilding. (I swipe my forehead)

SignosaurusRex

Hate to say this, but practice on something OTHER than on a customer's sign. Try using imitation leaf to at least get a feel for how it supposed to go...then move onto the real McCoy. It does take alittle practice to get the correct touch for loose leaf guilding. (I swipe my forehead)

:goodpost:

Dave Drane

The tip is only part of the process. what are you using for size? That is more important. I take it you are doing a glass job?

signmeup

I've gilded a few signs over the years (click my site link below) but I've never used loose leaf just transfer. Last time I chickened out and stuck the loose gold to waxed paper sheets effectively making my own transfer leaf.

I can pick up fake leaf with my fingers so that doesn't really give me much practice with the real thing. Thanks for the forehead tip though.

signmeup

The tip is only part of the process. what are you using for size? That is more important. I take it you are doing a glass job?
Dave, I'm just gilding V carved letters in HDU. I'm useing one shot fast size. I'd like to try something with a little more open time but one shot is what I have readily available. I've heard good things about LeFranc.....think I should order some?

JR's

Wow Jill now that is a neat technique, so easy a little kid could do it.
Thanks for the link.

JR

Vinylman

I have always thought Dave Smith's gadget made it look easy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYUnWLijNjo

Love....Jill

Yah RIGHT!!!:ROFLMAO:
just another one of those late night info-mertials that never work like you thought they would once you get it home.:doh:

Do you really believe that someone has created a "Gold" magnet. That is what I'm seein' there, a "Gold"magnet. :banghead:
Attracts only Gold and allows you to transfer it from the book to your work. Easy Peasy!

Next thing you know someone will invent a way to cut large vinyl sheets of material into individual letters without the use of an Exacto blade.:clapping:

Whats' this world coming too?

BTW: This comment is meant ONLY as a JOKE!

mrchips

There are a lot of situations where gold leaf is used and each has it's own different applications......
That said, application in dimensional situations has a few realities that are different from glass work.
One, whatever application tool you use to get the gold to the job, the gold will not conform to the space, seamlessly (least I've never seen it done). It will crack and leave voids. These voids will be covered by applying more gold leaf........usually, it's the loose gold that wasn't captured by size. Moving these pieces around with a gilders tip won't work very well....too floppy. Here is where a gilders mop is used (or any soft, long haired, clean brush.) Some will use a make-up brush......I personally want something with more spring.
The method I use (it's just one of many that do work) is to hold the book between my index and middle fingers (like they were scissors) and hold the open pages between my thumb and index finger. I hold the page half way open. Then I fold the pages under the gold leaf back and hold the book upside down which allows the gold to seperate (hang) from the book......remember, the book is only half open. Next, i bring the back pages back under the leaf. This gets a little air under the leaf and helps it slide off the paper. I start with the edge of the page over the letter so that I can pull the leaf over it. I do that with my mop/brush, which I have charged next to my nose. I now hold the the top pages completely open.....touch the edge of the leaf with my mop......which grabs the leaf....and slide the book out from under the leaf. When i'm across the letter, i fold the remaining leaf back into the "V". Then I gently press the gold onto the size with the mop....the leaf that was folded back onto the letter will be the gold that covers the voids.

I'd post some pictures but I don't know the right way so I hope this will do.

Good luck!!!!!

BTW, gold leaf is a great up-sell!!! :smile:

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Patrick46

WOW...that tool from Dave Smith is awesome! (I'm definately gonna look into one)

oh, I wouldn't ever use the 1-shot size for something like this...the 1-shot size is only good for things like truck lettering & pinstriping. (sorry 1-shot)