• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gloss or Matte Print and Laminate Question

SignShopDave

I am getting ready to redo my sign our front of my shop. It is 6' tall x 12' wide. This is my fist print and laminate job and I am worried that gloss will reflect the sun bad. the sign is 2 sided and perpendicular to the road so the face is facing east and west. right now it has cut vinyl on white background and the silver vinyl is hard to read in the afternoon as it reflects real bad.

my new sign will not have silver at all. white lettering with an orange/peach background.

should I use gloss or matte for this?

bannertime

We prefer matte for street signs. If the sun is bright enough it's going to white out the sign no matter what, but matte won't glare into the driver's eyes.

Vohaul

does it matter if i use matte print material or gloss with matte laminate? or vice versa?

No, you can laminate gloss vinyl and make it matte or vice versa...... just be sure to use calendered vinyl and calendered lam...or cast and cast:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKwrapguy

I am getting ready to redo my sign our front of my shop. It is 6' tall x 12' wide. This is my fist print and laminate job and I am worried that gloss will reflect the sun bad. the sign is 2 sided and perpendicular to the road so the face is facing east and west. right now it has cut vinyl on white background and the silver vinyl is hard to read in the afternoon as it reflects real bad.

my new sign will not have silver at all. white lettering with an orange/peach background.

should I use gloss or matte for this?

Why not meet in the middle and go Luster?

unclebun

We use gloss for signs like that. It's no different than the finish I'd have had 25 years ago with a painted background and painted graphics, or even if I use ACP and cast vinyl. Those all have gloss finish as well. Color saturation and contrast are better with gloss. We tend to reserve luster or (rarely) matte finish for indoor signs.

bannertime

I'm a fan of satin finish myself, luster is so last year. I finally got all the sales guys to start spec'ing it in their proposals so now I can stock one roll for 90% of jobs. Most customers never perceive the difference in matte/gloss in the first place, and I'm one to think the gloss looks cartoonish as well, but to each his own.

Which material are you stocking in satin? I'm only ever seeing gloss, semi-gloss, luster, and matte.