• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

goin to school for graphic design

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGD

well guys Ive decided to better myself and go to school for graphic design, Ive gotten pretty far with out school but I know there is alot I still need to learn and I know it will pay off in the future. Hopefully ill learn alot, online videos and youtube can only take me so far, this is my third time in school lol already been for business mngmt and went to UTI for automotive(i know that has nothing to do with this business, but it was my previous career) and now to upgrade myself some more, im tired of school but I feel I need it to compete now a days. any pointers or suggestions?

ucmj22

I feel you may be wasting your time. A 2 year school program would be best, as I have found a 4 year program will gear more towards an agency setting which isn't bad, but doesn't often apply to our field. The 2 year degree will focus more on basics, first year will all be learning the software and fundamentals of design. once you have this down, it's really up to you to cultivate your understanding of it and be able to apply it in the real world. I went the 2 year route and I was one if the best in my class, but I look back at some of the things that I was so proud of back then and wonder what the hell was I thinking. In my opinion there are very few that possess top quality talent that can come straight out of school and run at full speed. It really just takes understanding of the fundamentals of balance, color and contrast and over time, with constant practice the ability will come. If it doesn't, no amount of school will help.

Craig Sjoquist

Great choice .. What school ya going to ..what & how far do reach into graphics ..is it just how to push buttons or do they also teach guide lines to good design, just print or all, like billboards, storefront advertising etc.

The reason I ask is curious to the schools of today, myself going to school was the best choice I made & learned alot & I can see that I would have greatly benefited had I gone to other types of schooling also that covered more.

MikePro

2yr degree was my choice. Helps to get involved and pair up with other creative classmates to play-off each other's ideas and processes.
good grades are easy, but to come out of the degree with technique and passion is all up to how immersed you allow yourself to become.

SignManiac

I've thought about taking some college design courses, but mostly as an avenue to meet single women :)

Not so sure how much they teach at these schools with regards to sign design, but it is a different animal compared to page design.

MikePro

I've thought about taking some college design courses, but mostly as an avenue to meet single women :)
right on! that definately helped hike my butt to class everyday :)
highly recommended schools that also offer nursing programs. its like a Bieber concert, but without the urge to punch a teenager in the face.

John Butto

"I've thought about taking some college design courses, but mostly as an avenue to meet single women :)"
Make sure you sit in the back of the class.

Pat Whatley

One big suggestion.....don't go to school for Graphic Design.

Here's Newsweeks list of the five most useless degrees:
Fine Arts
Drama And Theater Arts
Film, Video, and Photographic Arts
Commercial Art and Graphic Design
Architecture

The field is over-saturated and under-appreciated. The average person can't tell the difference between great design and mediocre....and they don't care.

If I was going back I'd just take the random classes that would teach me skills I thought were interesting or useful. I'd focus more on the marketing side of things than the design side. I know quite a few GREAT artitsts and designers who are broke, or who are doing something else for a living. On the other hand I know several very successful designers who are average, at best.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do. The quest for knowledge is always admirable.

David Wright

Pat, Newsweek is going to useless very soon.
Anyways, vocational and apprenticeship route is the best for skills, but college if the piece of parchment is required.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do what you want, but ask yourself some serious questions before you register and just go blow some money for nothing........

A.) Are you going to learn your software.... or any software ??
B.) Are you going to learn design ??
C.) Are you going to learn to make signs or anything graphically ??
D.) Are you going to find yourself ??
E.) Are you going to pick up girls ??​

If your answer is any or all, except for E.)..... you're probably wasting your time. I would sooner think taking a small crash course from a local tutor would be of much more help. Besides, you'd get all the attention and not subject to stoopid class projects. You'll learn your software and how to use it inside out. Nothing worse, than learning things, you'll never use in life, let alone your business.

The last thing is.... you can't be taught how to layout, design or think. Designing is something you can hone, but not by a schoolroom professor or teacher. These people are teachers and they simplify their courses the best they can to make the dumbest person in the class still pass. Sure, they might develop a teacher's pet and give you special credits and get you to feel good about yourself, but they're not going to give you more than a few hours on elements, weight, composition, light, color, theory or any other area in the designing field, so if you can't design now, school is only get you maybe if you're lucky 15% better.

Like this, if you can't draw other than stick figures.... you don't go to drawing class. You go to pottery class or Elementary Art Ed. You become something you can do.... teach what you like, but cannot do yourself. Many coaches are just this. They know perfect from preposterous, but they can't perform themselves.

So, be true to yourself and mark out what you really want to accomplish. :thumb:

rjssigns

I went back an I'm glad I did. The tech school I attended is quite different from the standpoint of quality instructors.
My instructor for Adobe Illustrator and Typography was and still is an award winning designer. He still has clients worldwide.
Photoshop instructor worked with Hallmark, Disney etc... He has become a very good friend and client.
Printing Technology instructor has been there done that for many operations both large and small. It is impossible to bring him a software issue that he hasn't dealt with before. I wish I had a book of his workarounds.

I don't understand why some continue to bash additional schooling. Everyone's experiences are different and you will only get back proportionate to the effort expended. I've seen a lot of kids right out of high school in my classes that just went through the motions. They can't understand why they can't hold a job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I went back an I'm glad I did. The tech school I attended is quite different from the standpoint of quality instructors.
My instructor for Adobe Illustrator and Typography was and still is an award winning designer. He still has clients worldwide.
Photoshop instructor worked with Hallmark, Disney etc... He has become a very good friend and client.
Printing Technology instructor has been there done that for many operations both large and small. It is impossible to bring him a software issue that he hasn't dealt with before. I wish I had a book of his workarounds.

Then, you really might luck out and get something like this. Maybe......... I should've added to check out your prof's credentials before signing on the dotted line.

rjssigns

Then, you really might luck out and get something like this. Maybe......... I should've added to check out your prof's credentials before signing on the dotted line.

QFT.

Instructors here must have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and 12 yrs industry experience.

My instructor for Supply Chain Management worked for CAT, Cummins, GM and Volkwagen. She still consults on major projects.

Our tech school in affectionately known as the Harvard of the North.

C

ColoPrinthead

One big suggestion.....don't go to school for Graphic Design.

Here's Newsweeks list of the five most useless degrees:
Fine Arts
Drama And Theater Arts
Film, Video, and Photographic Arts
Commercial Art and Graphic Design
Architecture

The field is over-saturated and under-appreciated. The average person can't tell the difference between great design and mediocre....and they don't care.

If I was going back I'd just take the random classes that would teach me skills I thought were interesting or useful. I'd focus more on the marketing side of things than the design side. I know quite a few GREAT artitsts and designers who are broke, or who are doing something else for a living. On the other hand I know several very successful designers who are average, at best.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do. The quest for knowledge is always admirable.
:goodpost:
I went back and finished my design degree, with no intention of doing anything related to it, but 15+ years of experience and a recession lured me back. I wouldn't waste my money on a design degree, I was just half way done with it from going to a tech school when I was in High School so it was quick and easy. I work with a couple of 24 year old kids paying $900 a month for their AI degrees and they are only AASs :omg2:

idsignsil

I went to school for 4 years and came out with a Commercial Art degree printed on nice paper and put into a fancy folder type display thing, and I will be paying for that piece of paper for the next 20 years!

I did learn about design, and typography, and programs that will help you in the sign world. But the rest of the stuff does not apply. I would go the 2 year route or a tech school as suggested above. If you are wanting to a certain skill, tech or trade school is the way to go. I am not saying I wasted my time in college, it was right up there with the best times in my life. Between the :bushmill: and the girls, but I digress.

Now having worked in the sign industry for a while, I would look into something that is very specific in what it teaches. Like stated above, design, layout, typography and software.

Dan Antonelli

I think its a good move. I couldn't have arrived where I am today without my degree (Communications/Advertising). You have some other solid credentials already, coupled with some new insights, and you'll bring more to the table than most.

Add in some marketing and advertising coursework. I actually did not go to a design school, but apprenticed prior to college at a sign shop, and worked all through college there as well, soaking in as much as I could.

But the degree taught me how to communicate ideas verbally, understand marketing and advertising principles, and then be able to couple that with my design skills.

Figure out where you want to be in 5 years; chart the course. Put yourself in your clients shoes, and determine what they may see of value. There are so many companies who will pay for quality, and do seek out those who excel. And they will pay handsomely for the opportunity to work with you. If you are doing the same as what everyone else, they won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.