• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gold Leaf Foil

Lealie Conn

I bought Gold Leaf Foil Large Engine Turned and it is not the same color that is on the other fire engine that we are doing....How do you match colors on it, or is a a dye lot type issue. Just need to know what to tell the customer.

Billct2

Could be a different manufacturer or different karat if it's SignGold. Then there is the thing called UV degradation (ie: it faded).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are the other Fire Engines done in vinyl or could they possibly be the real thing ?? Some professionals still use REAL gold leaf and not the vinyl stuff.

letterman7

I've had different colors come from both SignGold and RealGold. It was explained to me that they can't help the lot colors. I tried to explain to them that matching existing apparatus with their product on both is imperative. Seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Brennen

We always use the Engine Spun Gold Leaf, but GINO is correct, you may get a truck that is the REAL gold so it won't match exactly.

Lealie Conn

Are the other Fire Engines done in vinyl or could they possibly be the real thing ?? Some professionals still use REAL gold leaf and not the vinyl stuff.
Not sure it has an edge like vinyl and it has a fold that looks like it creased on them. The existing one is Very Bright Gold colored where the 22 Karat Engine spun we purchased is a creamier color for lack of a better word. It matches what is on their smaller trucks...but the Big Truck is a very bold color. So I am confused.

Lealie Conn

Not sure it has an edge like vinyl and it has a fold that looks like it creased on them. The existing one is Very Bright Gold colored where the 22 Karat Engine spun we purchased is a creamier color for lack of a better word. It matches what is on their smaller trucks...but the Big Truck is a very bold color. So I am confused.

Billct2

Yea, that almost sounds like one of the fake engine turn golds...they are really bright and have reall hard lines in the spinning

jfiscus

Rap Master
There are a few different manufacturers of similar gold vinyls and all of their vinyls are slightly different. They also offer different grades/styles of vinyls within their own brands, so it is best to request swatch books from each to have so that you can compare to what is on their trucks currently to verify you order the right material for the department.

Lealie Conn

We always use the Engine Spun Gold Leaf, but GINO is correct, you may get a truck that is the REAL gold so it won't match exactly.

Yea, that almost sounds like one of the fake engine turn golds...they are really bright and have reall hard lines in the spinning

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpg
    IMG_2621.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    998.2 KB · Views: 113

Lealie Conn

The difference is so different. the almost white looking one is brighter than my 18 karat gold ring...but the other is so Bright

Johnny Best

That is not real gold laid by hand. Some sort of brand you buy like SignGold. Didn't one of those companies
split some years back and the guy went to Deland FL to start up another one called RealGold?
Get a hold of RealGold people and send pic you posted and maybe they can help you.

Billct2

Really hard to tell from photos, but the T looks like either a "fake" gold or even a printed gold effect. The A looks more like Signgold. But as has been said you need swatches from the various suppliers to compare. And those won't help with real gilding or printed fakes.