• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold leaf from Thailand

Rocco G

Hi

Has anyone ever used the gold leaf that is being made in Thailand? I have a customer that wants some window work (hurrah for small miracles) and I will have to buy ~5 books to do it. In checking online I came across Golden Leaf products from California and their pricing on loose leaf is pretty good - $121 for four books. I'm just concerned that it will be false economy. The job will be long drive away and I won't want to have to go back and re-do it at any time.

On the few jobs I've done leaf on I've used the stuff from N. Glantz & Son (Manetti IIRC) and it's been fine. I'm usually a big one for "you get what you pay for" but don't want to waste money or lose the job.

Thanks

Rocco

fresh

I think they will send you a few leafs as a sample if you are curious. Just call them.

If I remember correctly, they sent me samples years ago. I don't have enough experience to tell you if its good or bad.

knucklehead

The stuff from Thailand is only about 1 x 2 inches. I've used some on small projects, it's very brilliant, just small. Maybe that's why it's so economical.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Can you post what your looking at. I would have to read more of a description to accurately give any advice.

And I checked my supplier, and that's not too bad of a price.... remember, if they want gold, they have to pay for it.

I bought some from eBay, and it wasn't a leaf like I had gotten before. It was more like a foil, so I just threw it in a box, and put it in a drawer some where.... it may be the same thing, and I would not want anyone to make the same mistake.

Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

The stuff from Thailand is only about 1 x 2 inches. I've used some on small projects, it's very brilliant, just small. Maybe that's why it's so economical.

Those are the "mini leaves". The standard leaf from Gold Leaf Products (Thailand stuff), is 3.125"

I can't be of any help regarding the quality of that brand but,
Gold is only $1,182.00 an ounce at today's price. The price of leaf fluctuates with the market.

Rocco G

Its golden leaf products . com (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to insert a direct link) and they say it's 3 1/8" square. They even give the specs.

23 Karat Gold Leaf
Item# GLP230
95.8% Au, 3.5% Ag, 0.7% Cu

I guess I'll just have to get a sample and see what it looks like. I'll report back once I get it.

Thanks folks.

Techman

I bought some from eBay, and it wasn't a leaf like I had gotten before. It was more like a foil, so I just threw it in a box, and put it in a drawer some where.

Sometimes that foil looking gold leaf is oil leaf. It's still gold leaf but used with oil size.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Its golden leaf products . com (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to insert a direct link) and they say it's 3 1/8" square. They even give the specs.

23 Karat Gold Leaf
Item# GLP230
95.8% Au, 3.5% Ag, 0.7% Cu

I guess I'll just have to get a sample and see what it looks like. I'll report back once I get it.

Thanks folks.

That is the correct percentages that make it 23K. The prices are a little higher than my supplier.

My supplier is http://www.framemasters1969.com/23-karat/ fyi, and they sell double weight, which is 3 3/8" sq, and "single weight", which is 3 1/8" square.

Rocco G

That is the correct percentages that make it 23K. The prices are a little higher than my supplier.

My supplier is http://www.framemasters1969.com/23-karat/ fyi, and they sell double weight, which is 3 3/8" sq, and "single weight", which is 3 1/8" square.

Hmm, that price isn't bad at all. TBH, I haven't had a chance to order the other stuff. Is the leaf from framemasters loose or patent? My job will need loose since they want "mirror" gilding...assuming I can remember how to do it properly. ;)

My local N. Glantz quoted me over $60/book for 23K gold leaf :omg: so I'm certainly going to give Framemasters a call.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Hmm, that price isn't bad at all. TBH, I haven't had a chance to order the other stuff. Is the leaf from framemasters loose or patent? My job will need loose since they want "mirror" gilding...assuming I can remember how to do it properly. ;)

My local N. Glantz quoted me over $60/book for 23K gold leaf :omg: so I'm certainly going to give Framemasters a call.

They carry both, but the last that I got from them was loose.