• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold Leaf supplier?

RandyToons

It's been a while and I just had a request for a quote on a glass job (basic address on door w/ outline) . Does anyone out there have a favorite supplier. I'll need a guilders tip and a couple books. I'm going to price this by the hour and materials...unless there are any other ideas.
Thanks,
Randy

PS what do you use for backing the gold...use to use Deka Gloss

markz

gold leaf source QHF

greetings West Coast. tyr QHF, S.Carolina supplier. i've had good luck with them, and my #2 brush source. however, no matter waht i fax for my brush "wish list" they cut it in 1/2. so wish big.

also ArtEssentials. i have a gilders tip i bought new, never used it. probably won't.
good luck markzsigns.com

:wavingflag:

RandyToons

Thanks Mark...I did call Art Essentials after I finally remembered who I had bought gold from some 20 yrs ago. Their prices seemed pretty fair.
Thanks

signmeup

I buy my gold from England from a company that makes it. Wrights of Lymm. It's about half the price of gold purchased on this side of the pond. Very nice stuff. I use the double thick 24 karat. Loose leaf is currently $33 a book from Wrights of Lymm and $54 from Letterhead Sign Supply.
Here's the link http://www.stonehouses.co.uk/

(I'll sell you as many books as you want at $54....)

RandyToons

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for stepping up to help. It's been a while for me and one thing that I will always remember is the fellowship of brothers and sisters of the brush.
:smile:

signmeup

I've checked most of these links. They don't seem to have prices. What are they are charging for a book of loose gold from those who have purchased from these vendors?

SignManiac

Most are not posting prices. I checked last week. I think I'm going to order from your link Adrian. Will it cost more for me to get gold into the states? any of those import tariffs, exchange rates and such?

signmeup

The last bunch I ordered was about 3 weeks ago. It took 5 or 6 days to arrive by post. I think it was around $20 postage... but I bought 10 books so I saved at least $200 over the North American dealers price. I didn't pay any tariffs but I'm in Canada... YRMV.

(I always order over the phone 'cause I love hearing the sales girls British accents.)

Billct2

I use Art Essentials. They will recommend the best, most economical, product for a particular job.

RandyToons

Art Essentials quoted me 55 a book if I bought by the book...901 for a full package and they sell a 1/2 pack also.

signmeup

Art Essentials quoted me 55 a book if I bought by the book...901 for a full package and they sell a 1/2 pack also.
So Wrights of Lymm are 22 bucks US per book cheaper. Ten books = $220 dollar savings.

They sell by the book. Buy 1 book or 7 or...

They also sell a five sheet book, although I don't see what you could gild with it. Maybe it's a trial size.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So Wrights of Lymm are 22 bucks US per book cheaper. Ten books = $220 dollar savings.

They sell by the book. Buy 1 book or 7 or...

They also sell a five sheet book, although I don't see what you could gild with it. Maybe it's a trial size.

That's for holidays. :wink: