• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gold size applied but gold held up in customs!!

Mal

Hi folks. It's been a while since I posted, but I'm in a sweat now. I applied 12hr oil size to carved dimensional letters, supposed to be tacked up tonight at 10 pm. It is currently 5pm. The problem is, due to Canada Post screwing with me, my gold wasn't in today as had been promised. I am crossing my fingers tightly that it comes in tomorrow morning. What I don't know ois...should I use solvent and remove the size that is on the letters right now and reapply at say 8pm for set up at 8 am tomorrow? Or can I roll new size on at 8 even though the first size isnt quite set up?? And if I do strip it off with varsol, do I need to clean the residue of solvent off before recoating. This is a series of 42'' tall letters going up--you guessed it--tomorrow. please hellllpppppp
Mal

Billct2

OMG, that is a bad situation. I would clean the size off with paint thinner(mineral spirits) and then wipe with alcohol. This is assuming they are painted with something that can handle the paint thinner. Don't try recoating the size it won't work unless you wait many days.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't worry. I generally use slow size, but have also used quick size. If you let it completely dry, just go back over it. I would wait more than tomorrow morning. I'd play it safe and wait til Saturday to re-size it. If you have small nooks and crannies, odds are you're not gonna get everything out, then you WILL have a mess. You'll hafta be the judge of any size or cleaner left behind.

• Agree
Reactions: Mal

Johnny Best

Usually 12 hour size has a window of 24 hours. When you get the gold try a place to see if it still has good tack. If not do what the other posters have stated.

Mal

Thanks all, for taking the time to reply. I chose to leave the size on (Dux 12 hr) and the gold did come in this morning. It still had decent tack, with one or two exceptions. I learned a few things through this dilemma...Firstly: I won't order my gold so late in the process, Second: Tracking numbers for postal services are a load of crap, and third: I can leave 12 hour size on for a lot longer than I usually do, with better results. (Brighter gild, definitely) And on a separate note...I learned that the longer I leave size exposed on an item, the greater the chance that hair and cat footy prints will be a factor. (And that I really need to keep the pets out of the workplace) Thanks again...I'm off tomorrow morning early to put up a slightly late sign. Cheers! Mal

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Here's another little known secret... you can use a hot-air gun to warm up and rejuvenate size that seems a bit too dry- to get it to work briefly again...

• Agree

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Aslo, when using slow size, build a covering system to protect it from everything, not just pets. Four little 4x4s and drape a towel or something overy it.

• Agree

Billct2

True, it's amazing, sometimes, how long the size will last. And the gold is shinier the longer you wait. But I have also learned that I prefer the gold a little less shiny, it reads better, and less chance of dry spots. Touch ups on leaf never look good.

• Agree

Mal

Here is a shot of the nearly completed sign. Thanks again for the advice! --Mal

Attachments

• barleymow orleans up.jpg
    barleymow orleans up.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 242

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I'm sure what you got paid for that is well worth the temporary hassle. nice.

neato

Wow, now that's a nice looking sign. Is there a texture to those letters? From the pic, they look hand carved.

Mal

Wow, now that's a nice looking sign. Is there a texture to those letters? From the pic, they look hand carved.
Thanks. Yes, they are jigsawed out and hand carved with large olfa knife and many blades, lol. These are done in 3/4'' Extira. We leave all the toolmarks in.

Attachments

• 20180316_150629 (2).jpg
    20180316_150629 (2).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 231

SignMakeHer

Thanks. Yes, they are jigsawed out and hand carved with large olfa knife and many blades, lol. These are done in 3/4'' Extira. We leave all the toolmarks in.
Beautiful work!!!! Did you say you carved the letters out of 3/4" Extira? If so, just out of curiosity, why not use foam board?