Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good, inexpensive print vinyl?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by catldavis, May 17, 2017.

1. catldavis

catldavis Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Florida
    I'm new to car wrapping and I'm looking for a relatively good, inexpensive print vinyl to use to practice printing and wrapping. Obviously I don't want to use some of the better 3M or other vinyls for practice. I know at one time there was a company that sponsored here out of Atlanta that had a private label air release vinyl that was well spoken off but I can't recall their name or even know if they are still in business (or a sponsor).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:
  2. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Premium Subscriber

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    General Formulations' AutoMark springs immediately to mind. There are a number of merchant members here who could probably offer a low-cost material for this use.
    I'd also suggest contacting your regular suppliers and asking for sample rolls of the high end material/laminate so you can practice with it, too.

3. catldavis

catldavis Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks GaSouthpaw for the reply. I'll check out the recommended vinyl.

4. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Instant one media is who you are thinking of... Their cast is great, we had some issue on our 360 but on our new 570 it seems to work great again.

5. GraphicsSource

GraphicsSource Member

May 28, 2015
    west columbia, sc
    +1 for automark with automark lam. It's a good print vinyl that you can wrap with but I use it mostly for decals sets and box trucks (not too many curves).

It's also great for general use such as window graphics and other outdoor applications.

6. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    I wasn't super happy with Instant One Medias Calendered vinyl but I did get a little of their cast vinyl to test out. It prints just fine and I installed some decals on my work truck over a year ago and it looks just as good as the day I installed. I laminated with 290G Oracal. They have a special on their website 54" x 150' for $239. John

7. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    You do know your cheap stuff will most likely print differently and MOST definitely will install differently.

8. dale911

dale911 Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    There is a huge difference between installing auto mark and installing a quality wrap film like 3m or Orafol. But if you can do automark well, then "real" cast wrap vinyl will be a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Premium Subscriber

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    That's why I suggested it- if you can install the "more difficult" products, the premium ones should be no problem. (Though I will say that AutoMark is an easy install).

10. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    I wouldn't try learning to wrap with calendared.
    It's hard enough with cast when don't know what you're doing.

11. catldavis

catldavis Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Florida
    Great discussion, thank you all for your input. Can someone recommend a distributor for Automark?

12. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Fellers, N Glantz, and I believe Grimco sell GF products.

13. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    ebay.

14. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Premium Subscriber

Yep. Our 3M and Orafol sales reps are very generous. We've done a number of small jobs that cost us nothing more than some ink and our time.