• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got a really fun job, but how do I do it? Print on anodized aluminum?

Doyle

I know a guy that works for a company that manufactures analog tapes (reels) and he contacted me a couple months ago about a possible job printing on the faces of these reels. This job in particular happens to be for Jack White of the White Stripes. I am really excited to be given this job, but I have no idea what types of surface preparation or inks I will have to use. I print garments, so this will be my first time using the air-dry inks.

I have already contacted one of my vendors and they suggested that I send them a sample for testing (which I will probably do either way). Just thought I would post here to see if anyone has ever printed on this type of surface before or could lend any advice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 121

Doyle

Thanks....Yeah, kinda stupid for me to take the job without knowing what the hell I am doing, but I just had to get it in my hands, I WILL figure it out, just got a lot of learning to do in the process.

BTW, I have about 400 of these to print ( 2 sides each)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We did some mill aluminum polished blanks and we used regular enamel 59000 series Nazdar. It held up for years under very stressful conditions of high and low temperatures. We also used 6700 Nazdar with success, but it wasn't on as stressful a project.

imagep

Most any air dry sign ink will work, it is really not that big of a deal. We used to print on control boxes, but they always had an oily coating on them that we would have to remove first with screen opener. We would them spray the boxes with wd-40 to emulate the origional coating.

You really need to use a 220 or higher screen mesh, thin the ink with paint thinner or an ink retardant. You can never stop printing - the ink will dry in the screen in less than a minute if you stop printing (no smoke breaks), and you have to immediately reclaim the screens.

Idea Design

For me, the process is exactly the same as garment printing. Same emulsion, approx. 195 screen.

I do well site location signs but those are on aluminum with a pre-baked finish. I use Nazdar 59000 series enamel; the only thing that worries me is the anodized finish you mentioned. My first go round with the 59000 was on an anodized sheet of alum and it never cured. You could scratch the ink away with your fingernail after several days.

I wish I could give you a solution other than recommending Nazdar 59000 enamels for printing on pre-baked alum sheets.

Post up if you figure it out.

Doyle

it's only 1 color with reverse (knock out) text, RED. Can this be done with laser or acid etch? Thank you all for the suggestions.