• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gradient Color

Cynosure

There must be some trick...hoping someone can help. Here is my problem, using flexi cloud (and illustrator) i pick my yellow spot color i want to start with and gradiate to black. Print...thats not the yellow i picked. How do you force the printer to use the actual color you selected in gradient color box (pick shiws yellow test and then gradient)?
65bfe82c4ae87812b9d1978afac844c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

shoresigns

Spot colours in gradients won't usually work the way you want.

One workflow that's more reliable for gradients is to do your gradients in RGB, then rasterize them before converting to CMYK.

Cynosure

Spot colours in gradients won't usually work the way you want.

One workflow that's more reliable for gradients is to do your gradients in RGB, then rasterize them before converting to CMYK.
I couldn't tell where the error/conversion took place...I assume when it is sent to versaworks. Makes sense, rasterizing would lock it all in. I will give it a try. Thank you!

shoresigns

I couldn't tell where the error/conversion took place...I assume when it is sent to versaworks. Makes sense, rasterizing would lock it all in. I will give it a try. Thank you!

The end of the gradient may not match the spot colour after rasterizing, since it would no longer be a spot colour. The workflow I mentioned gives you better transitions in gradients, because designing a gradient in CMYK is usually not going to transition the way you want.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Always, as in always, create Flexi gradients in CMYK and not in RGB. Flexi gradients in RGB never end up matching anything while CMYK gradients perform orders of magnitude more predictably. Just select the gradient and, in the little color/stoke dialog [whatever it's called officially] select the box with the four dots instead of the three dot box.

burgmurk

I've always upgraded to a better RIP than versaworks, so i'm not to familiar with it. Do you have the ability to measure the colour on the rip, and then adjust the curves? In this situation, that's what i'd do. I'd then save those settings in my job folder in case i ever had to do it again. There may be a 'better' way, but this is quick and will get the job out the door looking right.
That being said, It could well be the right colour, but only on the very edge of the gradient. Adding black to yellow (even .5%) is going to drastically change the colour. you may want to start the gradient a little later, so you get a half inch or so of pure colour before the black kicks in.

Andy_warp

To preserve the spot color...make a duplicate of your object. Have the bottom most layer be your spot, and the top layer a black only to black only gradient from 100% opacity to transparent. That way you'll retain your spot color info for the rip.

Johnny Best

Do you pick a pms yellow when you are doing this. I do gradients in Photoshop(rgb) and place it in Illustrator(rgb) and save it as a .pdf.
As mentioned here many times, the RIP will change it and print it as a CMYK. I do not use Flexi as a RIP.

Cynosure

Lol...kerning is good, thise are two separate pieces. Thanks for all the tips, i have a lot to try! I was using the versaworks color selection, which i thought was cmyk, but i could be wrong. I think imay need to do it in illustrator with the 2 layers...little extra work but if it turns out right its worth it. Flexi just cant pull that off...