Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gradient problem

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by Graphics2u, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    Why does the gradient in the narrow section in the center have so few steps to the color gradient when all the others in the file look fine. Is there something I'm missing here?

These are all simply black to white CMYK Gradients.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Assuming that's a print, Flexi seem to have a problem with going from wide to narrow with a gradient. I had much the same thing happen to me in the crossbar of an uppercase 'A'. Both legs of the 'A' were fine but the crossbar showed that sort of banding. There didn't seem to be anything I could do to correct the situation.

I would appear that the very same thing is going on with your work.

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I'm guessing its a screenshot...if it is, it might just be a video rendering issue

4. DRPSignsNGrafix

DRPSignsNGrafix Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I'd say do a test print smaller and make sure. But flexi does that sometime on the screen but when prints it's fine.

5. Graphics2u

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    It is a Screen shot but the print looks the same way. The narrow bar is the bar of a Barbell. It is layered behind the weights on each end and the school logo in the center. I had made a gradient that goes all the way accross the bar which is approx 34" wide and 2" tall, with several color changes accross it's length. That's when I got the banding.

I have found a solution but it doesn't tell me why it happened. I cut the long bar into shorter pieces and made individual gradients instead of one long one. Then it looks nice and smooth.

Fortunately I was able to cut it into sections because it's behind other objects, but if it would have been all visible i don't know what I could have done.

Thanks for your input!

6. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    isnt there a gradient steps setting? usually defaulted to 256...but can be upped into the thousands...

7. Graphics2u

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    In Flexi?

8. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    just looked for it...I know in corel you can set the gradient steps in eps export...

but there is a gradient smoothness in the RIP/Print dialogue it seems...

9. Graphics2u

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    I'll check on that

10. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    You can create Blends in Flexi between two colors and choose the amount of steps--255 max I believe. But that is not a gradient option.

You can also choose the smoothness of gradients in the Flexi RIP, but that wouldn't effect what the graphic looks like on the screen prior to RIPing as shown in your screencap.

Did you Eyedrop that gradient from the neighboring gradients? Or Copy and Paste it? Try assigning a new gradient from the Swatch Table or the Fill/Stroke Editor. I have seen some strange things when Eyedropping or Copying gradients in Flexi.

11. Graphics2u

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    I most likely eyedropped it. I'll give that a shot.

12. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Me too. Flexi is wacky.
    You could always isolate a larger gradient and import it as a jpeg, then downsize it to fit.