• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphic Design Charges

cwb143

I've had too many tire kickers ask about a design for an awnings or a signs or whatever and stick a quote on it and they shop it and I never hear back. Now if I put a disclaimer on the drawing and say If persons requesting layouts don't order within 14 days then said persons will incur design fees.

Is that too much to ask? Unethical? Or does it make me the odd man out if the rest of industry doesn't do it?
Can I enforce it if they didn't want to pay?

maybe I'll just answer every email with a quote and no drawing and say refer to website for work we do.

printhog

I've had the best success using this model... Post your top labor rate very clearly in the front of your shop. Include the minimum order fee and proofing fees. Include the copyright symbol real big, with a sentrnce like this:
"All art created for client consideration is the exclusive wholely owned property of xyz signs until paid in full and released under a pre negotiated copyright release contract. We rigorously enforce copyright violations, including with the end user."

For me, it's $110 per hour, $225 for CNC/3D work. $75 minimum order, $35 per email proof. Revisions billed at 15 minute increments. All conversation time billable. That leaves no dispute that your billing for time.

When they ask for a design, happily quote the time it'll take to create two concepts and one revision to one concept.

Then ask for the order.

If they balk, usually they'll say something like "the other shop will do it blah blah blah", or "I need to see it before I buy it", or "my (wife/husband/dog) needs to approve this before I spend"..

I reply with a simple matter of fact statement.. " I won't do that. It's not part of my business to give away labor. You've seen my work. You know I'm capable. I understand you need to see what you're sign will look like, but that is part of the product and service sign shops like mine charge for. It's expected clients pay for that."

In reality, most customers in your shop have already decided to buy from you. Some more scrupulous shoppers may test boundaries in some cases, but usually they just don't know that we make our living making art.

They devalue it in their minds thinking it's just some computer time and only a few minutes. If I sense this I draw it into the conversation. I give a quick run down of how the quick design for them to shop art will cost my shop an hour minimum. And I remind them that any design I might create without payment couldn't be used elsewhere as it's my copyright property. So there's no motivation to create free art.

Usually they concede. If not. I know that my local competitors won't do free art so it's moot.

If you set terms up front on your shop and on your website, these issues will go away for the most part.

its only a freaking sign!

Hutchextreme

I mostly wraps, but I tell my customers that the design is $275 but I'll refund $125 of that on their first wrap. No free art ever.

shoresigns

We don't design for free. I usually tell clients, "the design work is part of the quote. If you're ready to get started we require 50% up front." It helps if the quote has a description of the design work.

Sometimes I'll also offer them the option of paying for just the design work (100% up front) if they're really unsure about it.

It also often helps to explain the proofing process. They often calm down considerably when I explain that we're not going to print a design you don't like; we'll go back and forth with revisions until we get it right; we usually get it right in 1-3 proofs; but if you want to make an excessive amount of changes along the way, we do have to charge more after the first 2-3 proofs.

CanuckSigns

I mostly wraps, but I tell my customers that the design is $275 but I'll refund $125 of that on their first wrap. No free art ever.
Huh? Can you explain this further? why would you refund almost half the design charge if they are a first time client? Also $275 is way way below market value for a wrap design, at least if it's any good.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I was very strong about not doing any designs until payment. But on larger quotes i've become more lax and I'll spend 10 or 15 mins coming up with a rough idea (grabbing a logo from customer website and slapping it on a google streetview image) and giving that along with the quote. If they want to start refining the design I let them know that it's just a rough idea and when we move forward with the order we'll fine-tune the design.

I get that they want to see something before paying. I mean we are selling custom products and having something tangible to say "this is what I'm paying for" I think gives them some reassurance. Ideally they should know that we've made thousands of signs and our portfolio speaks for itself and they should just know that they are going to get something they like, but not everyone is like that. Yes I've had artwork stolen and yes I've wasted time on layouts that they didn't order... but a lot of times they are impressed when I get a bid back FAST along with a drawing and two other shops haven't replied back to them yet.

Now, if your calling about vehicle magnets or a $100 banner and want to see something...nut uh! Payment first before I spend two more seconds discussing this order please, in fact it's $30 for this phone call!

Hutchextreme

Huh? Can you explain this further? why would you refund almost half the design charge if they are a first time client? Also $275 is way way below market value for a wrap design, at least if it's any good.
Unfortunately, in my area most people aren't even charging for artwork. I refuse to do it free, but I feel like offering them an portion back IF they get the wrap done by me, insures that once they've had me design it, they have some incentive to get the wrap done by me. Far too often, I've had people walk in with a design from some other sign company, asking me to quote the same job. At least I've gotten paid for the design, and they know that if I'm wrapping it, they have that $125 coming off the top (which, lets be honest is less than 5% off of an average full size van wrap).

shoresigns

Unfortunately, in my area most people aren't even charging for artwork. I refuse to do it free, but I feel like offering them an portion back IF they get the wrap done by me, insures that once they've had me design it, they have some incentive to get the wrap done by me. Far too often, I've had people walk in with a design from some other sign company, asking me to quote the same job. At least I've gotten paid for the design, and they know that if I'm wrapping it, they have that $125 coming off the top (which, lets be honest is less than 5% off of an average full size van wrap).
I've had a couple of times where I went so far as explaining to the customer that if we did a free design for everyone who asked for a quote, that would increase our overall labour costs and it's the paying customers that ultimately bear all that extra cost.

As others have said, we do occasionally send a quick drawing with larger quotes when we feel it's necessary to help explain what we're quoting them for.

printhog

There are places where one can get free food, like at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter, but you cant ask for steak and lobster cooked to your liking there.