• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphics on Powder Coated surface

mitsfreak12

Hi, I wanted to ask if any permanent vinyl will stick on a powder coated flat surface? I usually stock IJ35 3M but will that be too aggressive? Any info would be great. Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Never a problem of anything sticking to it from lettering paint to silk screen inks to any kinda vinyl you throw on it. Sticks like a champ. :rock-n-roll:

Desert_Signs

Never a problem of anything sticking to it from lettering paint to silk screen inks to any kinda vinyl you throw on it. Sticks like a champ. :rock-n-roll:

That doesn't jive with my experience, AT ALL.

My gun safe is powdercoated. Everything (almost) falls off of it. Some lasts a little longer than others. The only thing I could ever get to stick to it was Arlon 8000.

Oracal 651? Nope. Oracal 751? Nope. Oracal 3651? Nope. Oracal 3165RA? Nope. 3M IJ180Cv3? Nope. Arlon 6000XRP? Nope. Arlon 4560GTX? Nope. See a pattern?

And not just my gun safe, but a multitude of powdercoated items. I'm wondering what magic trick you're using to get any kind of vinyl to adhere?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We run a lot of decals for new machinery for a manufacturer that all gets powdercoated. Yes most any vinyl will stick to it - but in their and our experience, not very well. Peels off very easily. For powdercoated we pretty much only use high tack vinyl.

rcook99

I find that interesting about people having problems with decals not staying on a powder coated surface. Especially knowing that powder coating is just a different process of painting with a pigmented powder and an electrically charged piece which draws the powder to its surface and then it is baked to cure. Where as painting is using the same pigmented powder suspended in in a solvent and sprayed on the item which cures over time and is then clear coated.

The point is they are the same just applied in in a different process and because of that you will find powder coating to be a harder more scratch free surface.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forum Runner

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You have no idea what you are talking about rcook. While some of the actual pigments might be the same, the carriers, and processes are totally different. Why is power coat so much more durable than paint? Its not because it is a thicker coating...

Now - decals adhering well to power coatings does depend greatly on the formulation of the RESIN base of the powder. There are literally thousands of powder formulations for different applications, durability, etc. The resin base of some have properties that ultimately make the finish less receptive to regular adhesive vinyl. Different resin bases ranging from urathanes to nylon, etc along with different additives to aid lubricity, etc are also present. While the end result of many powder coat finishes might look the same as the same color traditional paint finish the actual makeup of the coatings in the end really have almost nothing in common other than the color.

From Linetec regarding powder coatings.....
"The primary component of powder coat is referred to as the resin. The type of powder coat system comes from the resin system. The powder coating formulation is much like a liquid coating except that most of the components are in solid, melt processable form. The exact composition of a particular powder coating is often complex and proprietary. In general most powder paints contain resins, pigments, fillers and additives.

Resin System: Resins are the key component of powder coatings. The range of powder coat resins used have increased to meet the demands the architectural market sector. Resin systems include: Kynar (PVDF), Polyester, Super Durable Polyesters, Urethane, Epoxy, Acrylic, and Nylon.

Pigment: Pigments are the material added to the paint to give it color or to enhance certain physical properties of the coating. The selection of pigments is done on the basis of physical needs, durability, gloss, color fastness and chemical exposure. Pigments are both naturally occurring as well as synthetic. Typically solid particulate materials such as titanium dioxide or carbon black.

Fillers: Used to reduce cost of the coating formulation and to improve specific properties such as flow, surface texture, lubricity, etc. Common fillers include barytes, calcite, mica, talc, whiting and wollastonite.

The raw powder coatings, composed of resin, pigment, curing agent and fillers are mixed dry and then melt mixed and extruded. once cooled, the mixture is chipped and ground into finely divided particles. The chips are ground to a very specific particle size distribution depending on the application.

The particle size is important to the performance and appearance of the coating. The size of the powder particle can have an influence on the behavior of the material in the painting process and the final film characteristics."

petepaz

depends on the powder coat. i have done jobs where it's a fine matte finish and no problems sticking oracal 3651 to it but i have done jobs where it is very textured and had to use specialty 3M adhesives (that would be a situation where the arlon 8000 would be good, like someone already suggested)

C

ColoPrinthead

We did several hundred powder coated realty signs and didn't have an issue using IJ35-20 on them. It is easy to remove the vinyl from the powder coating, but it's certainly not falling off.