• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec CE-6000 60 Leaving Nicks

93Works

Hey guys! So I've been cutting with the ce-6000 for a while now and it's amazing, such clean and quick cuts compared to my old cutter. However I recently noticed that it was leaving nicks. I lowered the offset until those nicks disappeared, but now sharp edges are a bit deformed because the offset is too low. Raising the offset just worsens those nicks. Any ideas as to what is going on?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Little hard to tell what the issue is, got a photo of the problem you can post?

wayne k
guam usa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm not sure but I would remove the blade from the holder and make sure no little bits of vinyl or dirt are causing the blade to not rotate smoothly. clean it and add a drop of light machine oil. I'd look up the correct blade offset for the one you are using from the user's manual and set it to the recommended setting and see what you get.
It doesn't look like you chipped the blade from the results but it won't hurt to look at it with a magnifying glass or swap in a new blade to see if it clears up.

wayne k
guam usa

93Works

I'm not sure but I would remove the blade from the holder and make sure no little bits of vinyl or dirt are causing the blade to not rotate smoothly. clean it and add a drop of light machine oil. I'd look up the correct blade offset for the one you are using from the user's manual and set it to the recommended setting and see what you get.
It doesn't look like you chipped the blade from the results but it won't hurt to look at it with a magnifying glass or swap in a new blade to see if it clears up.

wayne k
guam usa

The offset for the blade is supposed to be 0, which does seem to be correct since it cuts corners perfectly. The only problem is those nicks. The blade is brand new, I did switch it to another new blade and it does the same thing. I also added a drop of 3-in-1 oil to the blade holder. Lowering the offset angle down to 0 (it slows down cutting way too much) seems to lessen the nicks along with lowering the blade offset, but like I said, the offset is too low and starts messing with the corners.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The offset for the blade is supposed to be 0, which does seem to be correct since it cuts corners perfectly. The only problem is those nicks. The blade is brand new, I did switch it to another new blade and it does the same thing. I also added a drop of 3-in-1 oil to the blade holder. Lowering the offset angle down to 0 (it slows down cutting way too much) seems to lessen the nicks along with lowering the blade offset, but like I said, the offset is too low and starts messing with the corners.
So the troubleshooting section of the user guide says to change over to the pen holder and run the same plots to see if the issue if the jag is there without the blade.

phototec

wayne k
guam usa

Hey Wayne, where do you put the drop of light oil, in the bottom section near the cutting blade or the top section above the spring? Thanks

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I take the blue cap off and put a drop or two on the outside of the smaller brass bushing that rotates inside of the larger outer one.

wayne k
guam usa

93Works

Snydo

Are you cutting thicker material? from the photos it looks like 10 mil at least. Our old Graphtec cut the thick stuff much cleaner with the rigid media red blade holder with a matching 60 degree blade.
PHP33-CB15N-HS

93Works

Are you cutting thicker material? from the photos it looks like 10 mil at least. Our old Graphtec cut the thick stuff much cleaner with the rigid media red blade holder with a matching 60 degree blade.
PHP33-CB15N-HS

Hello Snydo! I am not. It's Oracal 651, 2.5 mil I believe. I actually did cut the same design on Avery HV1200 (4.5 mil) and it didn't leave any nicks.

SignosaurusRex

A few things to consider.... The Blade Holder/Housing itself may be bad (worn bearing or cracked housing). Loose or stress-cracked Pen Holder and/or Carriage. A close inspection may reveal a culprit.
You could still have debris inside the blade holder/housing itself. A good douche of the holder with oil and blasting with air from both ends can't hurt.

93Works

A few things to consider.... The Blade Holder/Housing itself may be bad (worn bearing or cracked housing). Loose or stress-cracked Pen Holder and/or Carriage. A close inspection may reveal a culprit.
You could still have debris inside the blade holder/housing itself. A good douche of the holder with oil and blasting with air from both ends can't hurt.

The machine is only a few months old, I've cleaned the blade holder inside and out. I have however noticed that the bottom of the blade holder is getting worn down, is that normal?

SignosaurusRex

The machine is only a few months old, I've cleaned the blade holder inside and out. I have however noticed that the bottom of the blade holder is getting worn down, is that normal?
No...not typically. The face of the the blade holder should not be making contact with the vinyl. If you are getting 'wear' on the blade holder face, it is making contact with the vinyl and therefore possibly "dragging". That in itself can create your problem. Your blade should be adjusted in the holder itself so that the blade protrudes only slightly more than the depth of of any intended use vinyl thickness itself. The depth of cut is manually adjusted in the down pressure/depth at the keypad.
On another note... you might inspect the carriage belt for any debris, such as a stray fragment of vinyl stuck to the drive side of the belt.

93Works

No...not typically. The face of the the blade holder should not be making contact with the vinyl. If you are getting 'wear' on the blade holder face, it is making contact with the vinyl and therefore possibly "dragging". That in itself can create your problem. Your blade should be adjusted in the holder itself so that the blade protrudes only slightly more than the depth of of any intended use vinyl thickness itself. The depth of cut is manually adjusted in the down pressure/depth at the keypad.
On another note... you might inspect the carriage belt for any debris, such as a stray fragment of vinyl stuck to the drive side of the belt.

I have the blade depth set pretty well, I run the blade pressure at 13 for Oracal 651, it just barely marks the carrier sheet. There's absolutely no play on the blade carriage itself so I don't know what else could be causing the wear on the blade holder, I also checked the belt everywhere and it looks perfect. I've also noticed that it doesn't always make perfect cuts, for example it will cut the first decal a bit sloppy, kind of like a Chinese cutter, rounded edges and a bit of uneven lines. Then the second will come out perfect and vice versa.