• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec cutter not completing cuts

srafferty

I have a CE5000-60. It's about a year old and I've never had problems until now. I'm cutting pretty detailed lines. I can cut two of the same image and one will cut perfect while the other will be slightly incomplete. If I cut a circle it will be almost complete- there will be a slight tag that is still connected (but only sometimes). I've changed my blade and updated my firmware but it's still happening. Anyone have any suggestions? I have included a few photos, they aren't the greatest but I think they show what's happening.

Thanks!

Attachments

• signs1.jpg
    signs1.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 1,144
  • signs2.jpg
    signs2.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 782
  • signs3.jpg
    signs3.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 862
  • signs4.jpg
    signs4.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 682
Last edited by a moderator:

signgirl71

Adjust your offset. After doing that if you still have a little gap sometimes I find that you have your speed set too high. But the offset should fix the gap in the cuts.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yours is a reasonably common complaint and, regular as clockwork, someone pipes in about offset. Offset is most misunderstood setting. It's primary purpose is to make square corners square, not ensure complete cutting.

Diddling the offset won't do much for this problem. This behavior is typical of a binding tool carriage and/or a dull blade. Try removing the dust cover from the tool carriage and blowing out all of the accumulated dust and debris. Pay special attention to the blade up/down mechanism. It doesn't take much contamination to produce your symptoms.

signage

I agree with bob! It also could be caused by vinyl adhesive on blade holder bearing, try cleaning it and re-oiling the bearing.

signgirl71

Sorry about "piping in" about the offset, but that's what worked for me when I had that problem. Plus it only takes a second to check and could be easily done.

Sublimefly

If you're running Flexi (insert sad monkey face here) you can set production manager to over cut everything. I usually add a .25" to my cuts when my blade is getting dull or I have to weed very small details. That way it continues an extra quarter inch around the shape to make sure the cut is complete. I wouldnt discount any of the other advice either though.

dennisuello

I have exact same problem, and my CE5000-60 is brand new. I haven't touched any of the factory settings yet, just hooked it up and tried cutting.

dennisuello

Did they started making Graphtecs in China or what?

Made in Japan still. I upped the offset a bit, as my test image didn't look right and now it seems to work better, but still some O's I cut as a test have a jagged connection between start and end of the cut.

signman1

offset

Hi Guys, Lets update the offset. The offset does not do what some people are posting in here. The offset is used for different blades. For example:
If you are using a .9mm blade (blue tip holder) you need to tell the cutter so. I you do not and use a red tip blade & holder you will get a different cut. The 1.5mm blade is wider across and does not need to go as far as the .9mm blade does. If you were to take a magic marker that had a wide tip and draw a circle, when you come to the end you only need to go till they connect, it did not travel as far as a narrow marker. So the cutter needs to know what blade is in the unit for it to cut to the end. It has nothing to with squares vs circles.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi Guys, Lets update the offset. The offset does not do what some people are posting in here. The offset is used for different blades. For example:
If you are using a .9mm blade (blue tip holder) you need to tell the cutter so. I you do not and use a red tip blade & holder you will get a different cut. The 1.5mm blade is wider across and does not need to go as far as the .9mm blade does. If you were to take a magic marker that had a wide tip and draw a circle, when you come to the end you only need to go till they connect, it did not travel as far as a narrow marker. So the cutter needs to know what blade is in the unit for it to cut to the end. It has nothing to with squares vs circles.

Wrong, thank you for playing.

Offset is the distance between the tip of the blade and the center of rotation of the blade. It doesn't matter a pinch of ossified bandicoot snot what the diameter of the blade might be.

Offset is measured in .001's of an inch and if not set correctly will cause either rounded or overshot angular corners. It will seldom cause an incomplete cut, especially on curves, since the blade is usually rotated to the same point at both the beginning and the end of the cut.

Simple geometry.

signmeup

It's known as castor. Shopping cart wheels use the same principal. The blade will not turn unless there is a distance between the tip and the axis of rotation. (unless you have a tangential cutter) If you tell the plotter the wrong dimension, it won't work properly.