• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC8000-75

dlndesign

Ok, I am having a hell of a time. I want to print from a Roland VersaCamm VP-540 with registration marks, and I want my Graphtec FC 8000-75 to cut it. But I go through the manual, and there is nothing that is helping me solve this, easily... any help, or a point in the right direction would be helpful.

Thanks

grafikguy

President
You'll have to set up your ARMS to recognize your registration marks. Toggle through the ARMS menu on your plotter and check that it is active and what registration marks it needs to see. I have and fc8000-130 and cut from a VersaArt regularly. Initially, I had that same trouble, but after setting up the plotter, all is well.

First question: why cut on the Graphtec when the Roland will do it?

Second question: What RIP are you using? If you're using Versaworks, is cannot be done from the RIP.

Other RIPs, such as Onyx or Wasatch will have that functionality (print and cut on different brands of equipment).

Bob

dlndesign

I am using Production Manager in Flexi to send the information to my plotter. I use VersaWorks to print.

You would need to print from Production Manager, and cut from it as well.

Your other option would be to print and cut from Versworks to the VP-540 device.

Also, I vaguely recall some other workflow involving a Graphtec Adobe Illustrator plug-in that might be able to do this, but I have no direct experience with it.

Bob

dlndesign

Excellent Bob, thanks for all the good info. I'll look into that plugin for adobe, might solve a lot of headaches.

jasonx

I do this.

I use cutting master from adobe Illustrator to add my registration marks.
I put my cut lines on a separate layer and hide this layer and save as an EPS.
I then print with versaworks as normal.
I then load the job into the cutter and open the file again. I unhide the cut layer and use cutting master to select this layer and my cutting layer and tell it to cut using arms.
I position the knife over the first registration mark and I hit ok. It will prompt you to move the cutting head.

Hope this helps.

grafikguy

President
Sorry, I forgot to tell you that I'm using Signlab's RIP. It allows you to choose your cutting device before you send it over to the RIP. Cutting master should do the trick from AI as stated above.

I'm still waiting for the compelling advantage to using the AI plug-in in conjunction with the Versaworks RIP to make print/ cut happen. With the VP-540 it should be a slam dunk to do solely on the Roland device using 1 file, printed and cut via Versaworks, for either print/ cut and print/ laminate/ cut.

I know that Graphtec offers more knife options, but Roland has hitched their wagon to print/ cut for the last decade.

Bob

jasonx

Bob: I know versaworks 3 has the new perfcut feature but my graphtecs have a different cutting position for perf cutting where the blade doesn't touch a cutting strip.

That's the biggest advantage I find.

I also find I am a lot faster.

I did own a Versacamm SP540 and now have a XJ640 teamed up with two graphtecs.

DRamm76

I have had much more success in doing the perf cut from a printed graphic off a VersaCAMM when using the Adobe Plug In. I have the programs on my PC and I can actually email you a PDF of the video instructions on how to do it. Shoot me an email and I'll hook you up

jasonx

I have had much more success in doing the perf cut from a printed graphic off a VersaCAMM when using the Adobe Plug In. I have the programs on my PC and I can actually email you a PDF of the video instructions on how to do it. Shoot me an email and I'll hook you up

Hey Dramm I was able to do it on the versacamm fine. But I found I was wearing out my blades quicker and had to adjust the pressure as the blade wore out.

Mind you I do about 50 metres (a roll) of perf cutting a week at minimum.

jasonx

No I wasn't going through a blade each roll. What what would happen is I had to continually adjust my cut pressure to get the perf cut right. This is because on the versacamm your cutting on the Teflon strip.

With my graphtecs I don't have to do this and I run 50 metre rolls through it.

DRamm76

It may not be the force if it's cutting all the way through the image on some parts and not others. You may to try to adjust the offset of the blade itself. If it's at 0.00 now try .25

dlndesign

I would just use the Roland for print and cut, but the graphic I am trying to produce is very small and need highly detailed cuts. I had performed this on my Roland at first to see what the quality would be, and its not as good as a sample I cut on the Graphtec. But the Roland works great for other, larger, prints you need a contour cut for. I am not putting down Roland, but its just not as detailed and accurate as a Graphtec on its own.

Gcourville

I sure could use your help if you have time to talk.
I also run the Versacamm 540I and just purchased the FC8000.
We print and contour cut with the 540 and want to use the FC8000 to perf cut the decals apart.
I use Corel X4 to design the decals, export to .eps and Vesaworks with Rip to print to the 540.
The machine cam with V 1.8 of Cut Master 2 and I was told to up grade to the V1.88 from the Graphtech web site, but not able to install after down loading the file.

DizzyMarkus

If you slow the Roland down it will cut anything the Graph will cut :0) I have and do cut .16 letters out and are very easily weedable. The only thing it doesnt like are close sharp pointy edges.

Markus

I have to chime in on this b/c the thread started as a production question then turned into which plotter is the better. REAL SIMPLE GRAPHTEC... faster, more force, better pinch roller system, and not to mention holds heavier rolls and feeds better. The perf cut option on a graphtec is way better like JASON said entire rolls! No comparison hands down much better plotter

Matt-Tastic

you really have 2 options to do what you want:

1) Print and cut both from your Flexi Product (you'll have to bring the design into design portion, rather than sending directly from PM)

2) Use AI to design the cut / reg marks, Print from VersaWorks, cut from AI

The first is easier (1 software package handles it all), but may play havoc with colors if you're used to VersaWorks.

The second is more accurate, but may be more wasteful (designing multi-up in AI is a pain, and reg marks on each image is slow and wasteful, depending on size)

The choice is yours.