• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec stock bulging

ham1056

We just purchased a Graphtec cutter...runs well on most stocks but running the heavier floor vinyl with laminate, the stock bulges between the push rollers. We have adjusted the (red & blue)blade pressures, tried moving the push rollers but nothing works. We are wasting stock as we can only run the middle 30" on a 54" roll width. Suggestions?

woolly

my guess is the media does not like bending over the bed and will track poorly not unknown for people to create a table in front and behind for the media to slide on so it does not bend stays flat.
presuming you are using all the available pinch rollers..

dypinc

My solution for that problem. Had plans for modifying the cover but never got it done. I am surprised graphtec hasn't implemented something like this.

Holds the media down enough so it can not touch the blade when it is in the up position.

IMG_0602.jpg

dypinc

Hmmm, not exactly elegant but simple and effective. What substrate do you use for the guard?
Now ya have me wondering if it's feasible to machine a part for this, or maybe print one. Or fabricate something resembling a plasma head assembly with ball bearings, or a low friction nose cone like on an engraver....

I just used some 6mm PVC and sanded the edges. It was a test at the time but I was thinking along the same lines as you for something permanent.

signman315

Signmaker
My solution for that problem. Had plans for modifying the cover but never got it done. I am surprised graphtec hasn't implemented something like this.

Holds the media down enough so it can not touch the blade when it is in the up position.

IMG_0602.jpg
Love it! I've been taping a foam swab in a similar fashion for the same results/problem....now I'm going to clamp on the swab heck with taping haha, thanks!

Andy D

We just purchased a Graphtec cutter...runs well on most stocks but running the heavier floor vinyl with laminate, the stock bulges between the push rollers. We have adjusted the (red & blue)blade pressures, tried moving the push rollers but nothing works. We are wasting stock as we can only run the middle 30" on a 54" roll width. Suggestions?

Does your plotter have a vacuum? If so, have you tried uping that?

ham1056

my guess is the media does not like bending over the bed and will track poorly not unknown for people to create a table in front and behind for the media to slide on so it does not bend stays flat.
presuming you are using all the available pinch rollers..

Yes, on the "pinch" rollers, we were told they were called "push" rollers by the install tech...Thanks for your reply

ham1056

Do you have the tension set on each roller to the max? If the material is thick enough, you may reduce the tension on all of the rollers to the middle position. I'm talking about the levers on the back side of each plotter wheel, whatever they are technically called...
Thanks...will try that