• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gravity fed sprayer?

GP

Likely in the wrong section (sorry, I am on a roll)...

I am thinking it's time to step up - or over - to a sprayer. I can't seem to get the results I am after with a roller.

Anyone have a 'can't go wrong' recommendation on a reasonably priced sprayer?

This is mostly for smaller panel work and used with a small volume, pan-cake compressor.

Thanks

Eric H

Depends what your doing some of the harbor freight guns aren't bad. Devilbiss, Binks are good ones. A pancake compressor isn't going to flow enough air, check the guns for cfm at the psi you need for the gun. You will be surprised how big of a compressor you will need.

GP

Thanks Eric. I will definitely keep that in mind. I have been less than thrilled with my compressor lately - so maybe I will treat myself.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I have this compressor with this spray gun.

It's for home use, but works decently. The gun is actually really nice for the price but you would do better getting a little larger compressor. I just got through spraying about 250' of base trim and nine doors and the gun performed flawlessly. I would spray about three passes on a 8' piece of trim (bottom, middle, top) and would need to let the compressor catch back up. That only took about 20-30 seconds though.

rjssigns

I run a DeVilbiss GTI with the bag system. Literally seconds to clean and I can empty the gun while spraying upside down. There are disposable cup systems also that achieve the same goal just can't spray upside down.
I need the upside down capability as I still "shoot" vehicles.

Iwata makes a gun that breaks up paint so fine it looks like smoke. I shot a car with one. Best be on your game. It pushes volume like you have never seen, but in return you get no orange peel. Gun body alone was close to $900 though.

My "guns" DeVilbiss GTI(base, clear, candies) Sharpe Cobalt (primers/ high build surfacers) Sharpe SG55D (spot repair) Binks Model 17 (if everything else fails) It was my grandfathers go to. Pure nostalgia.

klemgraphics

rjssigns said:
I run a DeVilbiss GTI with the bag system. Literally seconds to clean and I can empty the gun while spraying upside down. There are disposable cup systems also that achieve the same goal just can't spray upside down.
I need the upside down capability as I still "shoot" vehicles.

Iwata makes a gun that breaks up paint so fine it looks like smoke. I shot a car with one. Best be on your game. It pushes volume like you have never seen, but in return you get no orange peel. Gun body alone was close to $900 though.

My "guns" DeVilbiss GTI(base, clear, candies) Sharpe Cobalt (primers/ high build surfacers) Sharpe SG55D (spot repair) Binks Model 17 (if everything else fails) It was my grandfathers go to. Pure nostalgia.

We have an Iwata at the body shop, man that thing is awesome, runs on 19psi and lays down clear like glass. As rjssigns said it will lay down paint so fast it's hard to keep up with if your not experienced.

Also have a few Sata guns that are top notch too and a little easier to use. Be prepared to pay upwards of $500 for any of these options though.

Just like with sign equipment....you get what you pay for

Atomic DNA

These are the guns we use:

The LPH 400 for clear

SuperNova with gold cap (1.3) for base

We also use the 3M PPS system.

Attachments

• IWA5640.jpg
    IWA5640.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 90
  • anest_iwata_ws400__55960.jpg
    anest_iwata_ws400__55960.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 118

visual800

you need to go to the harbor freight and get "the purple gun" its cheap but its a damn good gun. Ive used devilbiss, binks and sharpes. siphon feeds and when gravity came along I stuck with devilbisss finish lines. They were all great but for the money get the "purcple gun" before you run out and spend $300 on a damn gun.

If you keep this gun clean it will do you good. I run urethans, 2 part epoxys and clearcoat thru 2 seperate guns and I have a third for latex paints