• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GRAYS COMING OUT PURPLISH - HP LATEX & FLEXI

StickerGuy83

My HP Latex 115 is printing grays with a purple tint, blacks do not seem as rich as they were a couple months ago.

I've been working with HP about this but I am getting nowhere.
I already replaced the LC/LM print head and the Optimizer print head. Same result.
This was not happening when I first started printing with this printer. I'm using the same
ICC profile, the same SAV. I've gone through hours and hours or diagnostics with HP with no
resolution.

I'm open to anything at this point. I feel as though it may be a printhead issue still. HP will
not send me all replacement PH's because it will look "suspicious".

If anyone has experienced this issue before, please chime in on what you've done to combat
this problem and if you have had any luck.

TYIA!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Have you tried printing with a different profile to see if you experience the same results? Should tell you if the colour is achievable and that should help narrow down if it’s the PH’s or the profile/something different?

MikePro

purple tint means your leaning more towards cyan and magenta to make your rich blacks & greys.

what's your test print look like?
is your profile a standard one, or did you create/modify it yourself?

i know it sounds expensive, but if you're at a loss for ideas then replacing all the printheads, or at least all the ones related to cyan/magenta, is a solid way to start "from scratch".

StickerGuy83

Have you tried printing with a different profile to see if you experience the same results? Should tell you if the colour is achievable and that should help narrow down if it’s the PH’s or the profile/something different?

I have tried two other profiles. Same result.

StickerGuy83

purple tint means your leaning more towards cyan and magenta to make your rich blacks & greys.

i know it sounds expensive, but if you're at a loss for ideas then replacing all the printheads, or at least all the ones related to cyan/magenta, is a solid way to start "from scratch".

If I print with color correction off it will print grays perfectly. But on the other hand, other colors look washed out that are not black or gray.
I replaced optimizer and light cyan/light magenta print heads, still same result.
I ordered the rest of the print heads anyway, should be here early next week.

StickerGuy83

sounds like a mismatched profile, uncalibrated profile or corrupt profile. delete download re calibrate

I removed the ICC profile completely out of PM and the printer itself. Re-installed the profile. Ran a print optimization which cleans the print heads, aligns the printheads and performs a color calibration. I am using an HP certified ICC, the only thing I changed was to run it at 18 pass with 110% ink density, and I bumped the optimizer from 18 to 20 because it seemed to help with grain.
HP covered the first two print heads I replaced but that did not fix my issue. Then they asked me to change some settings in the RIP which made things worse.

For the first month or so my grays came out fine. The grain has always been an issue I have been trying to combat.

bannertime

18 pass 110% is pretty high. I'd drop down to something like 10p 100 or 12p 110. Also, it's likely nothing to do with your printer and more so the RIP and the artwork itself. Take a look at the cmyk values for the grey. I bet you'll find a lot of magenta. If your gray is something like 0,0,0,75 or 45,45,45,45 and it's still printing magenta, the RIP is telling the printer to color correct and it's adding the magenta. In Flexi PM you can leave color correction on, but manually set the CMYK values for the art using the last tab with the color dropper on it.

I'd also suggest learning about color management in your artwork. If you're using Flexi Designer, make sure your art is all CMYK or RGB and not a jumbled mess of RBG, LAB and CMYK (which is easy to do in Flexi). There is a decent video on adjusting the color settings and using your printers ICC profiles for soft proofing artwork. It's somewhere on their youtube page.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
My HP Latex 115 is printing grays with a purple tint, blacks do not seem as rich as they were a couple months ago.

I already replaced the LC/LM print head and the Optimizer print head. Same result.
This was not happening when I first started printing with this printer. I'm using the same
ICC profile, the same SAV. I've gone through hours and hours or diagnostics with HP with no
resolution.

I'm open to anything at this point. I feel as though it may be a printhead issue still. HP will

If anyone has experienced this issue before, please chime in on what you've done to combat

TYIA!

sorry, you are not "leaning towards" any color, you are starving the yellow, most likely
see attachment color wheel.whatever is opposite the predominant color is deficient. in general yellow has more pigment than anything but black. approach it this way & you will find the the issue.

MikePro

sorry, you are not "leaning towards" any color, you are starving the yellow, most likely
+1.
brain fart'd in my comment. by "leaning towards" cyan & magenta, I should have been commenting its lack of yellow/black.
if the printhead was "bad", it would be in the black/yellow. but as other suggested, your linearization/profile could account for that as well.

shepherddesigns

resolution.

TYIA!

I've been having this exact same issue with my 315. I've been through hours of diagnostics with HP and have printheads on the way, though they are now backordered, so who knows when I'll get them. This issue I've been having is yellow is printing at about 30%. Ran all kinds of tests and every color that is dependent on yellow looks terrible. This is on Orajet 3751ra with a custom made profile using FlexiPrint and an i1Pro2.

Last edited:

shepherddesigns

IMG_20200608_145015.jpg IMG_20200608_141330.jpg

StickerGuy83

I've been having this exact same issue with my 315. I've been through hours of diagnostics with HP and have printheads on the way, though they are now backordered, so who knows when I'll get them. This issue I've been having is yellow is printing at about 30%. Ran all kinds of tests and every color that is dependent on yellow looks terrible. This is on Orajet 3751ra with a custom made profile using FlexiPrint and an i1Pro2.

Definitely a printhead issue. Replacing the black/yellow heads fixed my color issue.

Reveal1

Seems moral of this story though repeated many times on this forum needs further repetition. Understandable since it is a top-selling line with new users regularly encountering similar problems. By design, it uses DISPOSABLE HEADS. They need to be replaced at first sign of failure, in our case we've always replaced as scheduled maintenance 3500-4500 ml. Do that and 95% of your color problems will disappear.

shepherddesigns

Seems moral of this story though repeated many times on this forum needs further repetition. Understandable since it is a top-selling line with new users regularly encountering similar problems. By design, it uses DISPOSABLE HEADS. They need to be replaced at first sign of failure, in our case we've always replaced as scheduled maintenance 3500-4500 ml. Do that and 95% of your color problems will disappear.

3500-4500!!!? Damn, I wish I was even getting 10% of that. These printheads have a little over 200 ml put through them.