• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greater Efficiency

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Here is a new study course developed for sign makers.
The key idea is to find the quickest path to improving your efficiency.

Every situation is different. I'm a fan of the +1% approach.

It all starts with a short conversation to see if there might be a fit. Five minutes is all it takes to know if it is going to work for you.

If you have an interest, I invite you to open a conversation with me.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It's difficult to look at one's own operation with the eyes of an outsider, but that's what I've been doing lately. It's far too easy to sink into a "we've always done it that way" attitude.

For me, the greatest gains in efficiency have come from brutally scrutinizing every step of our processes and asking "why?". I'm currently putting every process "under the microscope", writing things out in sequential detail, and asking "why". It's been an exercise well worth the time and effort.

One amazing thing I've discovered is that I haven't been very diligent in keeping up with changes in the shop. New equipment, new materials and new processes seem to be a constant around here, and my main problem is holding onto things (and old ideas) "in case I might need it later". That kind of thinking results in excessive clutter, poor productivity and overall chaos.

Lean manufacturing is not some new fad. It's also not limited to large manufacturing operations. It works especially well for smaller concerns, and for those of us with severely limited space.

So, that's what I've been doing for the past three months: scrutinizing, re-thinking and selling off a bunch of stuff that has only been in the way. It's not only created more physical space in the shop, but it's made coming to work more enjoyable...even though my daily commute consists of waking down fifteen stair steps.

Fortunately, I'm just a one-man-show and I don't have to deal with numerous layers of management. I can implement changes on the fly and enjoy almost immediate results.

JB

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
It's difficult to look at one's own operation with the eyes of an outsider, but that's what I've been doing lately. It's far too easy to sink into a "we've always done it that way" attitude.

For me, the greatest gains in efficiency have come from brutally scrutinizing every step of our processes and asking "why?". I'm currently putting every process "under the microscope", writing things out in sequential detail, and asking "why". It's been an exercise well worth the time and effort.

One amazing thing I've discovered is that I haven't been very diligent in keeping up with changes in the shop. New equipment, new materials and new processes seem to be a constant around here, and my main problem is holding onto things (and old ideas) "in case I might need it later". That kind of thinking results in excessive clutter, poor productivity and overall chaos.

Lean manufacturing is not some new fad. It's also not limited to large manufacturing operations. It works especially well for smaller concerns, and for those of us with severely limited space.

So, that's what I've been doing for the past three months: scrutinizing, re-thinking and selling off a bunch of stuff that has only been in the way. It's not only created more physical space in the shop, but it's made coming to work more enjoyable...even though my daily commute consists of waking down fifteen stair steps.

Fortunately, I'm just a one-man-show and I don't have to deal with numerous layers of management. I can implement changes on the fly and enjoy almost immediate results.
James Burke Thank you for your input. I especially appreciate your "It's difficult to look at one's own operation with the eyes of an outsider..." Please consider having a short conversation with me on this topic. Within a few moments, you will know if there is any value in continuing. If no, we stop. If yes, we both benefit.

JB

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Workflow is huge. From the time the raw materials enter until they leave should be the shortest possible distance. Same with each machine. The closer everything the employee needs to perform their task the quicker they can get it done; tools, materials, workstation, machine.

Another pet peeve is waiting too long to get new computers. 5 seconds 60 times a day is 5 minutes a day x5 x 50 = 20.8 hours wasted a year and that's $1000 of billable time wasted.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

Along those same lines, once you accept the fact that every single thing that goes wrong in your business and every inefficiency is your fault then you can really begin to make progress if you want to. If you sit around and blame your employees, customers, competitors etc than you will sit in a rut fighting reality forever which many small business owners do.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Workflow is huge. From the time the raw materials enter until they leave should be the shortest possible distance. Same with each machine. The closer everything the employee needs to perform their task the quicker they can get it done; tools, materials, workstation, machine.

Another pet peeve is waiting too long to get new computers. 5 seconds 60 times a day is 5 minutes a day x5 x 50 = 20.8 hours wasted a year and that's $1000 of billable time wasted.
Jester1167 Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Along those same lines, once you accept the fact that every single thing that goes wrong in your business and every inefficiency is your fault then you can really begin to make progress if you want to. If you sit around and blame your employees, customers, competitors etc than you will sit in a rut fighting reality forever which many small business owners do.
Notarealsignguy Good to hear from you. Your reply is appreciated. "...if you want to." is the key.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

I've discovered first-hand that in a large operation, typically it's the front-line workers who discover those inefficiencies first. The further up the line you go, there's an inverse proportion of those who appear to care, and shortsightedness seems to be somewhat of a celebrated malady.

JB

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I've discovered first-hand that in a large operation, typically it's the front-line workers who discover those inefficiencies first. The further up the line you go, there's an inverse proportion of those who appear to care, and shortsightedness seems to be somewhat of a celebrated malady.

JB
Many employees are too scared to say anything or if they do, are just told that they are wrong. Sometimes they are wrong because they don't consider the totality of the operation but often times they are right. The best is when the manager takes credit for someone else's suggestion.
If you are looking to make adjustments, don't discount some of the suggestions from your key vendor's sales reps. The competent ones pay attention to what everyone else is doing and understand how the good businesses operate vs the bad.

Stacey K

I like making signs
When you say it's the front line workers that's correct. It was only 4 years ago I worked for a sausage company. I was in charge of accounts payable for a 30 million budget. I had probably 50-100 invoices each month to processfor 30 people. When the gal who was retiring showed me the process, I nearly died. She kept a photo copy in binders of each invoice. The running tally was written in pencil and calculated long hand on each invoice. Then I would walk around the building asking people to sign invoices, coming back an hour later or a day later searching for them on their desks, so many got lost. I never knew what the budgets were we just kept adding the invoices up. Once she left I tried to implement spreadsheets - DENIED. And electronic signatures - DENIED by the IT department. I illegally did the electronic signatures, I couldn't take it. 30 people and only a couple of them tracked their budgets, most of them ran out of money before the end of the year, every year. I had to quit after a couple years, I couldn't stand the inefficiency. The entire place ran like that. So much wasted time.